Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

AGFD hunt regulations for 2008-2010 and spring 07

Check out this link to get the hunt recommendations and see meeting locations and dates.

This stuff will be voted on at the Aug 11 Commission meeting in Flagstaff.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunt_guidelines.shtml

Amanda

here is some of the text from that AGFD page. Please note the PDF files didn't link up, but you can go to the AGFD link shown above and download the PDF's. Also, some of you might be interested in seeing what other hunters wrote in for comments on the regulations. AGFD has published all those written comments in a PDF. Interesting read.

Proposed Hunt Guidelines for Fall 2008-Spring 2010

The proposed hunt guidelines that will govern season structures and permitting for hunting seasons during fall 2008 through spring 2010 will also come before the Arizona Game and Fish Commission for consideration during its Aug. 11 meeting in Flagstaff at the Radisson Woodlands Hotel at 1175 W. Route 66.

By clicking on the following links, you may view or download the final proposal [pdf, 1.8mb] regarding guidelines

[pdf, 107kb], or view the comments from public meetings

[pdf, 654kb] or written comments [pdf, 6.5mb] provided to the Department.

Commission voted to accept the 2008 spring hunts as proposed, except to extend the House Rock buffalo hunt to May 31.

With the 2008-2010 guidelines, the vote for deer was to accept as proposed. That means units 1, 3ABC, 7 12A, 13A will be going to a draw for archery deer. (coming soon to a neighborhood near you?)

I like the looks of everything....still think there are too many javelina tags.

I dont mind those units for archery deer going to a draw....I support it

az, next thing you know units 2,3,4,5, etc will be a draw... then 6,7,8,9,10... etc etc etc! people cant seem to get it that anything we do to limit hunting now is just a step in the WRONG direction!!! when we start allowing limitations ( draw for archer deer, making 36b into MORE of a wilderness area) is just the start of limiting all hunting ground, and a future to making all archery deer hunting a draw!

I do not like it at all!

I dont mind those units for archery deer going to a draw....I support it

Glad you like it, I hope that you will like all the other upcoming changes that will be dumping down on us. Stay tuned, I'm sure that something in leonord ordway's grandious vison for AZ hunting will hit you where you don't like it.

Mark

Archery is the best tool to promote what we now know called recruitment.

Archery is the best tool to retain those hunters.

Archery has the least impact on the resource.

We only have one Commissioner that understands this.

It will take 20 years to reverse the travesty that has happened these last two years.

Well, I am not surprised at the Commission's decision........I expected it, but hoped I was wrong.

Pretty soon we will be saving our money to hunt in another state.

Did they give us the carrot? 13b archery deer?

az, next thing you know units 2,3,4,5, etc will be a draw... then 6,7,8,9,10... etc etc etc! people cant seem to get it that anything we do to limit hunting now is just a step in the WRONG direction!!! when we start allowing limitations ( draw for archer deer, making 36b into MORE of a wilderness area) is just the start of limiting all hunting ground, and a future to making all archery deer hunting a draw!

I do not like it at all!

I do care if all the other units do go to a draw for archery I would be pissed off and would raise heck..which is a contradiction to my last post. Which is not how I wanted to say it....but to me making an archery draw for the kaibab is ok...any other units no...that way half the state will not be up there once sep 14th comes around.....except those with early elk tags.

also making parts of 36b more wilderness area is a great idea....although I will never hunt that unit I think wilderness areas are the funnest to hunt in...especially if you are willing to do the work which most people on this site are. I can deal with walking or hiking in...instead of everyone else driving roads....I actually hate when I walk up a huge hill and think there are not gonna be roads on the other side...but it never happens that way...there is always an easier alternative. I'd rather walk.

we can take it private if you want...

Why would we make it private?!?!

I dont mine walking or hiking at all, I would hike all day long just to spend a couple of house hunting in the holy grail of coues country ( look at the time right now, thats what im bout to go do) We have to think about those people who cant hike 15 miles a day, how are they going to hunt? ( ie my dad)... they need to have places to hunt also and we cant have them all jammed into a few sqaure miles. especially with 1000 tags in october, and 1000 tags in november. any type of limitations we as hunters support right now is just a foothold for later down the road when they try to make other restrictions on hunting. if you sit and really think about it, it will make sense.

now, yes the Kaibab does get the vast majority or archery hunters... but most of the people that I have personally seen archery deer hunt up there are road hunting. not saying they dont see a single deer cause they road hunt, but i doubt those people kill enough deer to hurt the herd.

In the world we are living in today, hunters and gun owners are looked down on as bad people.. If we allowand support people to limit anything having to do with our shooting/hunting rights, imagine what they will do and/or try to do with out our support.

Did they give us the carrot? 13b archery deer?

Garth, an archery hunt was mentioned in 13B. However, a possible permit number of 120 was given. Initial thoughts are this may be excessive if archers camp on water and have a high success rate. One would suppose these kill numbers would have to be reflected by a reduction in rifle permits.

Another was the proposal of a Jan archery hunt in units 8 and 9 since these units have less than 10% overall harvest.

Figures of 2042 archery Kaibab hunters were given. 1850 pernits were proposed. Majin this would allow for the 20% harvest, but not do much for the crowding.

I have a hunch there will be lot of leftover archery deer permits. 53% of bowhunters also put in for the rifle draw, so I would think many would shift to a general rifle tag rather than archery permit hunt, and hunt another unit that is still OTC

Doug~RR

Doug, thanks for the info.......since the door is opened, maybe we can get a December archery deer hunt in 11M. The success cant be high there since there is no general hunt.

I think in less than 4 years, we will see archery deer go to a draw across the state. G&f has wanted it for a long time and they finally found a way to do it. For those of you that are for a draw, be ready.

As Doug said, there will probably be left over draw tags, because the hunters that shoot both bow and gun will probably apply for gun hunts, then bowhunt units that aren't in the draw. Then G&F will be getting complaints about those units being overcrowded.......then the domino effect will happen.

Also, those units that are in the draw, will now fall into the "pie theory", which means bowhunters have to compete with rifle hunters for tags. If there are leftover tags, then we will lose them in a few years to gun hunters, because our application numbers aren't high enough.

It is a vicious circle and we as bowhunters will lose.

I don't like it at all, but if they are going to open up new units for late hunting, then that is something to think about. If they would start a 37B early archery hunt, I would burn bonus points on that. A unit 12 late archery hunt would be cool too. I say leave it as it is, but if that is not possible, then open up more units for archery draw hunts.

As I said before, since we are now being regulated by the amount of deer taken by gun hunters, then let's do it across the board.

We need to have archery antelope hunts in all of the units that are currently not open for archery. Take the number of rifle tags, give us 30% of those tags, (should about equal 20% harvest).

Why would we make it private?!?!

I dont mine walking or hiking at all, I would hike all day long just to spend a couple of house hunting in the holy grail of coues country ( look at the time right now, thats what im bout to go do) We have to think about those people who cant hike 15 miles a day, how are they going to hunt? ( ie my dad)... they need to have places to hunt also and we cant have them all jammed into a few sqaure miles. especially with 1000 tags in october, and 1000 tags in november. any type of limitations we as hunters support right now is just a foothold for later down the road when they try to make other restrictions on hunting. if you sit and really think about it, it will make sense.

now, yes the Kaibab does get the vast majority or archery hunters... but most of the people that I have personally seen archery deer hunt up there are road hunting. not saying they dont see a single deer cause they road hunt, but i doubt those people kill enough deer to hurt the herd.

In the world we are living in today, hunters and gun owners are looked down on as bad people.. If we allowand support people to limit anything having to do with our shooting/hunting rights, imagine what they will do and/or try to do with out our support.

I do see your concern about the people who might have the physical limitations. It does suck that they might not be able to hunt the wilderness areas....but I think in general it would be better in the long run.

I do agree with you that a majority road hunt the kiabab and that there is not a significant amount of deer taking....does anyone know what the average harvest for deer on the archery kiabab hunt?

anyways, If they added some more archery hunts for deer i.e like DB said... late kiabab archery hunt or a early or late archery strip hunt. I do not see any harm in that. It is probably inevitable that archery will go to draw we will have to make the best of it. I would say if archery deer hunts do go to a draw system then I would hope they would do the draw by regions instead of particular units.