Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Bird dog help please

I would definitely join a club and get a mentor. There are a few of them in AZ. I joined the Arizona Pointing Dog Club when I jumped in to the game. They have a meeting every month and I've never met a more welcoming group. Training your own pup is more of a learning experience for you than the dog, and having someone to help you along with the foundation training will pay off big time!

One other thing is that you should plan on dedicating six months to training two-three times a week. its a bit of a commitment but if you spend the time up front again it pays off in the end... You will also need birds! lots of them, most guys use pigeons because they are pretty cheap and tough, but you might want to plan for that because the wifey might not be ok with a cage full of pigeons hangin out in the back yard ;-)

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions

http://www.azpdc.org/

Thanks i will let you know. So after much puppy pictures and constantly bringing it up she has gave in a little. She said i have to get rid of at least one of the other dogs we have already. I am not sure how i feel about this. They are her dogs that she had to have and now they are not in puppy stage any more. So what do i do. Please don't judge me

I don't know if a good breeder would want to sell you a puppy if they heard you got rid of one of your pets to make room for another one.

I know how badly you want a birddog but maybe you wait till you and your family are ready.

• Like 1

I don't know if a good breeder would want to sell you a puppy if they heard you got rid of one of your pets to make room for another one.

I know how badly you want a birddog but maybe you wait till you and your family are ready.

I can understand that.

Well i will take your advice tres and not get one yet

Dude I wasn't trying to kill your dreams. Just suggesting to think about it. It's not easy getting rid of a family pet.

Dude I wasn't trying to kill your dreams. Just suggesting to think about it. It's not easy getting rid of a family pet.

It is all good didn't take away a dream just postponed it my wife got them for the kids and when the fluffy cuteness was gone so was the kids interest and i never got attached to them. But in time i will get a Brittany and bond with it like no other.

It is all good didn't take away a dream just postponed it my wife got them for the kids and when the fluffy cuteness was gone so was the kids interest and i never got attached to them. But in time i will get a Brittany and bond with it like no other.
I hear you. Tell your wife she can get rid of the dogs because she is the one that got them for the kids. Lol. See if you can get your Brittany and keep the other dogs.

Yeah she would not be mad if i came home but to drop that kind of money without her knowing would be the problem is she wasn't told

Yeah she would not be mad if i came home but to drop that kind of money without her knowing would be the problem is she wasn't told

Haha That's a given.

Well after days of talking about this with my wife this is the out come in 1 1/2 years our youngest starts school and i have the go ahead to get a Brit this might sound crappy to some but to me it is the most logical it will give me the time i need to #1 spend with a puppy #2 learn more about handling a bird dog #3 figure out what collars will be needed #4 find a good breeder and most importantly spend more time with my little guy. Maybe next season i can find a mentor to take me along and show me the in's and out's and point (pun intended) me in the right area for collars and what not. BTW if the deal of a lifetime comes up might have to wash the bosses car and get an advance on the time line

• Like 1