Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

.264 Win mag??

Tony,

I had one a couple of years ago, but the throat was too eroded to make any handloads shoot well. Tried 120BT, 125 NP, 129SST. Traded the gun away.

Doug

Tony,

I had one a couple of years ago, but the throat was too eroded to make any handloads shoot well. Tried 120BT, 125 NP, 129SST. Traded the gun away.

Doug

I've had my M70 since 1965, and it still shoots well. But I quit handloading 10 years ago and just pump factory 140 PSPs through it now. I used it on 10 of the 11 critters I killed in Africa, my tahr, stag, ram and chamois in NZ and I lost count of all the NA critters, including my 60" moose, that have succumbed to it.

About 15 years ago, I had Robar do some work on it because it looked like heck after carrying it in a saddle scabbard for many years. He put an NP3 satin silver finish on all the metal and then added a McMillan synthetic stock. Just before I went to Africa, I had to replace the original 3-9 Leupold I had bought with the rifle in 1965.

Anyway, the reason I asked the question is because I have a LOT of brass, most of which is once-fired that I'll part with for a reasonable price -- once I find it all in the places I have it stashed. :rolleyes:

This is what it looks like now. -TONY

bushbuck.jpg

man awesome!

how about a bunch mor epicutres of the things you have gotten with tht 264?

Ok, here's what I'll do, tho. Tomorrow I'll start a thread in Other Big Game, upload pictures of my trophy rooms and maybe some more "hero' shots from the field. How's that? -TONY

man awesome!

how about a bunch mor epicutres of the things you have gotten with tht 264?

Ok, here's what I'll do, tho. Tomorrow I'll start a thread in Other Big Game, upload pictures of my trophy rooms and maybe some more "hero' shots from the field. How's that? -TONY

I think that would be fine with me. Let's see'em Tony. :D

Tony, I especially love your hero shots! they look great!

I need a lot of those posted so i can see how im going to pose with my 105" coues this december in 36b!

Tony,

What's holding that antelopes head up besides rigor mortis? I like the pic; quite different from the ride-em Muley.

RR

Photoshop! :rolleyes: There was actually rock under the bushbuck's chin.

And the ride 'em mulie was when I was young and brash, not knowing any better. -TONY

we have several .264's in the house. i've been shooting one for around 40 years. i really like 100 gr bullets. H4831sc is my favorite powder. loaded in large quantities. loaded some 125 gr nosler partitions for my kid's new sendero last night. he's hoping to shoot a bear this weekend with it. personally, i wouldn't shoot anything over 129's out of a .264. it handcuffs the round too much. a .264 was made to run fast, and with even the 129's, it ain't that hot. about 3300 fps is all you can do without really running the jagged edge. nosler makes a 100 gr partition, if a guy is afraid of the bullet 'splodin'. but i've had excellent succes with 100 gr hornady interlocks. chronographed em at 3800+ fps. it you really wanna have some fun, load up some 85gr hp sierras. you can get close to 4000 fps and they will vaporize a jackrabbit. but the 140 and 165 gr bullets are pretty much useless to me. slower than tar and don't hit real well. bullet is too long, builds up too much pressure and you really need a little quicker barrel twist to stabilize em. my opinion is that if a guy needs a big bullet, he needs to get a big gun. too many folks try to make a big gun out of .264's, .270's and 7mm's. the big long bullets just don't do real well out of any of em. Lark.

...the big long bullets just don't do real well out of any of em. Lark.

Thanks for the input. The M70 in the photo, which I've owned since it was new, is 43 yrs. old. And...I'll be sure to tell the dozens of critters hanging on my walls that they shouldn't be dead because I used the wrong bullet. ;) -TONY

Lark,

The advantage the 100 grainers have over the 140's is less drop, as you know. They lose out to the heavier bullets in ballistic coefficient, energy, wind drift, and retained velocity. The longer bullets won't have any more pressure at max book load ( your 100 @ 3800 is likely be above max).

The 1 in 9 twist of the Remington Sendero should stabilze the 140's. Have you had a keyholing problem with 140's and a 1-9"?

Comparing a 100 grain partition at 3600fps and 140 at 3100 fps, both with 250 yard zeroes, and looking at 600 yard data:

The 100 Partition drops 43", has 1057 ftlbs E, vel of 2182 fps, and drifts 25" in a 10mph wind. BC = .326

The 140 Partition drops 50", has 1511 ftlbs E, vel of 2205 fps, and drifts 19" in a 10mph wind. BC = .490

Doug~RR