Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

12a junior hunt

My two kids got thier deer tags in today for the 12a junior hunt. I tought it was nice of the G&F to include a dvd about the Kaibab hunt and a coupon for 2 boxes of Federal premium vital-shok ammo redeemable at Cabelas or Sportmans warehouse. Thats 4 boxes of free ammo, So a big thanks to Cabelas, Sportmans Warehouse and the AZG&F.

My son got his youth 12A tag today ( I think I am more excited than he is)!

Who has taken there kids on the youth hunt in 12A?

Any helpful advice to pass along?

Thanks

tkknc,

Stan has been there a couple of times with his kids and has been involved with the ADA junior camp. Pretty sure he will chime in.

RR

My son got his youth 12A tag today ( I think I am more excited than he is)!

Who has taken there kids on the youth hunt in 12A?

Any helpful advice to pass along?

Thanks

My 10 year old and I hunted this last year, and we had a blast. By that time, the deer should be pushed down into the lower elevations. You will be the second hunt in 12AW, so the does may be a little nervous. I would be great if your son could shoot prone out to 150 or 200 yards. Many kids were successful higher in the forest with closer shots, but we had a blast spotting and stalking in and around the burn areas. We saw lots of deer every day and got some shots, but did not connect. It was my boys first big game hunt, and he was a little dissapointed, but still had fun. Since then he's got a pig and a turkey, so he got over it. PM me if you want detailed info, and I'll dig the maps out.

Mark

PS Thanks Stan for the info on the hunt that you gave me last year!

Took my little brother up there two seasons ago and we found a bigger concentration of deer in the lower elevations. Spent the first day and a half in the pines and tried to endure the snow we got that weekend and saw nada. Once we got into the burn-outs we were seeing deer left and right. Didn't connect but were able to put on some good stalks and in the end big brother(me) messed up his best opportunity. He didn't let me forget that until he messed up his chance at a turkey several months later...so now we are even:)

The year he had his tag there were 1000 jr tags, which I felt was a little dangerous. More then once we started to put a stalk on deer only to hear the zip of a bullet followed by the bang. Glad to see there aren't as many tags. Your kids should have a great hunt!

You know my soft spot well Doug! ;)

My oldest had the hunt two years ago and connected on his first deer. My middle son (turns 10 next month) was drawn for the tag this year. I'm looking forward to a great first deer hunt with him. Bowsniper, Basser, and the others have given good advice. The deer can be everywhere, but concentrations will obviously depend on the weather. Two years ago the hunt was during the same time-frame. There was not a lot of big snow to push the deer all the way down though, so many of the deer were in the 'transition' zone (ponderosa, oak, etc... Not too high, and not too low...). Anybody PM me and I'll send you some road numbers where we found success if your not too familiar with the area. Also, as Doug mentioned the ADA will likely be running it's annual Youth Deer Camp up there. This is a great place to get a burger or dog, as well as some information.

Best regards all!

S.

:)

We went Scouting last weekend. We saw over 100 deer. That got my son excited about going.

We also saw lots of turkey.

post-816-1190415687.jpg

Here are some pics that he took. Including the deer he wants to get.

post-816-1190415713_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips and we will see how the 12a youth hunt goes.

As an added bonus he wants to practice some more instead of playing video games.

Took my little brother up there two seasons ago and we found a bigger concentration of deer in the lower elevations. Spent the first day and a half in the pines and tried to endure the snow we got that weekend and saw nada. Once we got into the burn-outs we were seeing deer left and right. Didn't connect but were able to put on some good stalks and in the end big brother(me) messed up his best opportunity. He didn't let me forget that until he messed up his chance at a turkey several months later...so now we are even:)

The year he had his tag there were 1000 jr tags, which I felt was a little dangerous. More then once we started to put a stalk on deer only to hear the zip of a bullet followed by the bang. Glad to see there aren't as many tags. Your kids should have a great hunt!

Thats the way it was withmylast two junior elk hunts in 6a bullets flyin everywhere