Sign in to follow this  
KingJeff187

12A and 12B archery draw

Ok, so after looking at the deer regs I have realized that the 2 rifle hunts i wanted to put in for are during the same time that my 4th child is due to be born. I have decided to put in for archery in 12A and 12B. With only a few bonus points for deer right now I know i probably will not draw the tag. That being said I don't want to be "That Guy" so before putting in I am just curious on Thoughts and opinions of the hunt, area, and what challenges I may face on the hunt. Thanks in advance.

If you are resident with a few points it is usually automatic that you draw. It is the third best archery deer tag in the state....

• Like 1

If you are resident with a few points it is usually automatic that you draw. It is the third best archery deer tag in the state....

I have 2 points currently. If its' the 3rd best archery tag in the state, Then what are the 2 ahead of it in your opinion? I have tagged deer with my bow the last 2 years OTC both in 24B one muley and one coues. Just looking to change it up and hunt somewhere besides the desert.

13b and 13a are considered the best, "Arizona Strip" area. Those take a bunch of points to draw though and are only good hunts if you scout a lot or hire a guide, then you have a chance at a world class trophy. They are for going after a monster, where Kaibab is going for seeing quantity. If you find a good spot on the bab and aren't picky you will be making stalks every day.

• Like 1

13a and 13b.

For 12a/12b it looks like last year you would have had a 55% chance of getting one in bonus pass with 3 pts and a 41% chance in random with 2 points. Remember that if you have three you get a chance in bonus pass as well as a chance in random so you will probably draw it.

• Like 1

13b and 13a are considered the best, "Arizona Strip" area. Those take a bunch of points to draw though and are only good hunts if you scout a lot or hire a guide, then you have a chance at a world class trophy. They are for going after a monster, where Kaibab is going for seeing quantity. If you find a good spot on the bab and aren't picky you will be making stalks every day.

good to know. I am definatly not picky. I would love to shoot a gaint deer but would be more than happy with a decent 3 or 4 x.

Don't waste your time in 12b unless you scout your butt off and have a buck picked out. There are very few deer in 12b this time of year. With the tags going down another 75 tags from last year the draw rate will be much lower than it was last year. I was very unlucky last year and didn't draw it with 3 points. Hope to draw it this year though. Good luck

• Like 3

I didn't draw 12a archery last year with 3 points so it's not a gimme. That's said, the odds aren't bad for the quality of the hunt. Wish I could go this year, but I have an archery elk tag and will need all my vacation for that.

• Like 2

Things have changed amigo! You need at least 3 to draw now I believe. Might be even worse this year with the further reduction. That being said this is a really cool hunt. No gimme that's for sure. I get to know the area more each year but still haven't got a buck up there yet. I should have last year though, missed a gimme. Didn't see that twig darn it!

• Like 1

Thanks for all The input and info fellas. I think it's settled I'm going to put in for The archery 12A and 12B hunt and cross my fingers with 2 points. It's no big deal if i don't draw the tag. I have a late rifle bull tag for unit 8 and my daughter has her first elk tag for unit 22. So I will be in the woods either way. Thanks again