Jazz

7E Scout Trip

Having never been there before, I had to take the time and check it out.

Took 4 days off, the kids, the go kart and the drone and did some scouting. We camped around the White Horse Hills- and it was a good thing too. Some of the spots I was thinking of covering had houses- so that's not going to work.

I think I'm definitely going to do archery deer there in Aug- I'm hoping the cameras show good things. Found some awesome spots.

I know some here had mentioned they got the 7E hunt at some point, but never been there as well.

Going back in two weeks to hike from White Horse Hills to the cones a little farther north and check the cameras.

I'm almost as excited for the deer hunt as I am the elk.

post-12305-0-62876400-1465408445_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-26883100-1465408447_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-77336200-1465408448_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome man! Good luck! I've helped a few guys take 300+ bulls on the archery hunt in that unit! I've seen several better so go in with high hopes!

Cool. Nice photos; were any from your drone? Just curious if you think the drone helped scouting.

They're all from the drone. There's a ton of footage- those are some stills.

These are from the iphone =)

It actually did help. I jumped it up about a 100 feet and realized there was a water hole next to camp. It was too small on the map, I didn't catch it.

I didn't see any elk, but we had a dozen deer come within 100 yards of camp. Good stuff!

post-12305-0-69524200-1465421686_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-18877800-1465421690_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-80063600-1465421694_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-19594600-1465421701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome man! Good luck! I've helped a few guys take 300+ bulls on the archery hunt in that unit! I've seen several better so go in with high hopes!

Thanks! It's a cow hunt for me in Dec. I'm kind of dreading some of that unit in the snow..

Thanks! It's a cow hunt for me in Dec. I'm kind of dreading some of that unit in the snow..

Hope you don't have the blizzard we had in 3B this last December. 40 mph winds and 2+ ft of snow!

Having never been there before, I had to take the time and check it out.

Took 4 days off, the kids, the go kart and the drone and did some scouting. We camped around the White Horse Hills- and it was a good thing too. Some of the spots I was thinking of covering had houses- so that's not going to work.

I think I'm definitely going to do archery deer there in Aug- I'm hoping the cameras show good things. Found some awesome spots.

I know some here had mentioned they got the 7E hunt at some point, but never been there as well.

Going back in two weeks to hike from White Horse Hills to the cones a little farther north and check the cameras.

I'm almost as excited for the deer hunt as I am the elk.

Awesome captures ! Be careful of giving away your camera locations on here

I got drawn for the late rifle hunt there. I plan on starting the scouting trips real quick as well. I am looking forward to it!

I have a September bull tag in there also. It's a first for me hunting there also. I have hunted 7 west some but not east. I was up there a few weeks ago just getting the lay if the land. Headed back next Monday and Tuesday if you want me to check your cams for ya! LoL

Nice work on the scouting.

I have the 7e cow hunt. Snow is a good thing if it isn't tons during the hunt.

We went 2/4 last year and it really should have been 3/4. We had no snow last year but we had luck on our side. There are elk all over the unit. The weather will help dictate where the most elk will be.

Good luck with the elk hunt. I've been wanting to do deer there as well for archery, but from what I hear every archer from flagstaff is there and a bunch of other out of towners. Doesn't mean I won't try it, but wish those mountains were 3 times bigger in land mass

• Like 1

7E for archery Is awful. People everywhere, road hunters galore, dust and dirt all over your camp, and other hunters spooking deer all over. I'd avoid 7E for archery if I were you.

As for elk, should be a pretty easy hunt. There are a ton of elk in that unit, and finding a cow should be pretty easy. If I were you I'd be scouting a bit more north of the white horse hills. Especially for the December hunt.

• Like 2

7E for archery Is awful. People everywhere, road hunters galore, dust and dirt all over your camp, and other hunters spooking deer all over. I'd avoid 7E for archery if I were you.

As for elk, should be a pretty easy hunt. There are a ton of elk in that unit, and finding a cow should be pretty easy. If I were you I'd be scouting a bit more north of the white horse hills. Especially for the December hunt.

Thanks for that- yeah- I can't wait to hike up to the cones. I think that might be a bit more productive. And after all, a million things will change between now and Dec, and like several have mentioned, weather plays a huge factor.

For me, half the fun is exploring :D

7E is one of my home town units. Grew up hunting it as a kid, know every inch of it, and continue to hunt it! Where your at is good for archery deer, just be willing to work harder than the average road hunter and you'll do fine. Apply that to your elk hunt also! For your late cow hunt I'd look further north as the White Horse Hills area will likely be full of snow. Find places to glass the low country and you can't go wrong no matter the weather. If you have trouble filling your tag, shoot me a text (928) 607-9380. always willing to help.

We also provide Guiding and scouting services and great group rates for cow hunts!

Lance Crowther

www.tlohunting.com

• Like 2