Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

Bino Preferance

Hey all,

I was hoping for some advice on bino power. I have the choice of getting a 16 power or 20 power bino. Will be used on a tripod. Given the power of a 20X, would I have problems with heat waves etc during early fall hunts and is a 16 power adequete. I currently use a 10x42 Swarovski. Thanks for your help. Jake

I have a buddy who uses the pentax 16X50. He really likes them and the review on the 20X 60 is very good as well. It was reviewed by astronomers and as you know they are looking at night. Im just wondering about the quality in the daytime. thanks, jake

Heat waves affect 10x, 15x, etc. anytime you are glassing farther out in the morning, once it starts warming up, you will be fighting heat waves. I would be most concerned with clarity and weight. If you are looking at identical brand of bino's and your choice is between 16 and 20 power, I would look at how heavy they both are and select appropriately. I personally glass behind 15x on my tripod and can see quite a ways out.........hope some of this helps.......Allen..........

I would suggest borrowing your buddies and using them out in the field before buying them. They won't be anywhere near the quality of your Swaros. I hope this saves you some cash as I looked through some in a store and was impressed so I bought them only to buy a pair of Zeiss at a later time. My .02

I have a buddy that has the Pentax 16's and he basically put them away when he got the swaro 10X's. Says he can see better with the 10's than he can with the cheaper 16's. If I were you I would look into a doubler or tripler. There's a fella that sells one here that is supposed to be awsome. So instead of lugging around a big set of bino's you can carry a tripler at a few ounces and the fantastic pair of 10's you already have. Just my opinion. The main problem is gonna be trying to carry 2 sets of bino's. 16's are too big to be able to just pull up and hold if you gotta take a quick look at a buck. So imagine pulling out the tripod everytime you wanna get a good look at something fast. Also no matter how clear they are if you can't hold them steady what are they worth??? Get a tripler. At least with the 10's you can hold them fairly steady, at least long enough to count points.

Just my opinion.

Donnie

If you already have the 10x42 swaro's, I personally would put those on a tripod and call it good. However, if your wanting a set of higher power glass remember the phrase "you get what you pay for." I would maybe look into Minox, Zeiss Conquest or go all out and buy the big brother (15x56's) to your 10x42's. You can also look at maybe trying to pick up a demo pair of something on the higher end of optics a save a few $$$ that way. Doug from Camera Land always has some good buys. I have not bought anything from him but a few guys on here have and they have said nothing but good things about his operation. He is a sponsor on this site and has a link on CWT.com's main page.

My 0.02 cents----Manny

I have the Pentax 16 power and for the price they really work pretty well. Weight isnt bad and clarity is pretty good. The only problem I had with them was the way they fit my eyes, had to keep the eyecups down while glassing from a tripod. Now as others have stated they are not Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica quality. I have the Swaro 15's now so the pentax are just in the safe, might be willing to sell if your interested.

Ron

If you already have the 10x42 swaro's, I personally would put those on a tripod and call it good. However, if your wanting a set of higher power glass remember the phrase "you get what you pay for." I would maybe look into Minox, Zeiss Conquest or go all out and buy the big brother (15x56's) to your 10x42's. You can also look at maybe trying to pick up a demo pair of something on the higher end of optics a save a few $$$ that way. Doug from Camera Land always has some good buys. I have not bought anything from him but a few guys on here have and they have said nothing but good things about his operation. He is a sponsor on this site and has a link on CWT.com's main page.

My 0.02 cents----Manny

Great advice, Manny. I agree 100% I used my 10x42's on a tripod for years before I bought my 15x56's.... and found lots of critters with then. Also might want to look at the Swaro 10x50's they are the best all in one bino that I have seen yet.... supper bright, clear, and you can free hand or tripod.

Gino, thos 10x50's are awesome! The client that Chrissy and I guided for Jim in December had them (didnt use them at all) had a pair, and I laid them on top of my Zeiss 15x60 and holy cow they were awesome! I actually glassed with them, and if i glassed something up I put my Zeiss on them. They are sooooo bright and clear! Im surprised more people carry the 10x42's then those!

Hmmmmmm.. Well, I have alot to think about. i was also toying with the idea of getting the doubler for my 10x42. Thanks for all your advice. jake

Gino, thos 10x50's are awesome! The client that Chrissy and I guided for Jim in December had them (didnt use them at all) had a pair, and I laid them on top of my Zeiss 15x60 and holy cow they were awesome! I actually glassed with them, and if i glassed something up I put my Zeiss on them. They are sooooo bright and clear! Im surprised more people carry the 10x42's then those!

My son has the 10x50's and loves them.... I bought them for him because I wanted him to have one pair of binos at would do everything..... now I want a pair for Coues deer hunting... :rolleyes: ... I think they are better for that cuz everything is almost clearer than real life. ;)

LISTEN TO THE MASTER .....

BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD

# 1 15X56 SWAROVSKI 1900.00

OR

# 2 15X 60 MINOX 700.00

OR EVEN CHEAPER

16 X 70 FUJINON 650.00

ALL ARE GREAT GLASS TRUST THE MASTER

JOHNNY