Sign in to follow this  
bowhunter89

elk bugling yet?

There are some bulls running behind my house in 7M and they are not doing much at all. In fact, they are off by themselves still even though there is a good sized herd of cows in the same area.

The bulls have started to bugle north of Flagstaff. I think the farther south the later the rut will start. Saw a large five point with five cows and screaming his head off. He better enjoy them cows while he can because that heard bull will be taking him over soon. Good luck hunting.

Edited by 111

Saw a 360+ bull in unit 22 on Monday. Had only 5 cows w/ him. Was able to watch hime at about 60 yds through my bino's for a minute or 2. Very nice bull!!!!

When I was up noth for the opening day of deer season I heard a few but not many. They should be going off all over the state in about two more weeks or maybe one more big storm.

I was out Labor Day Morning in white mountains, and got in to 4 bulls, one was screaming, the other three hanging out whistling, they kept it up until almost 8 am. I never got to see the screaming bull but of the other three one was a small 5x5 the other two low 300 bulls. Early that morning driving out I saw 2 bulls cross the road, both decent bulls, one maybe high 370, hard to tell as they ran across the road.

370 is a good bull, just not what I would shoot in my home area of 3C, i know better. (unless it is a late hunt)

It is a great tag, my wife will be trying her hand at elk hunting in Nov. for first time. The south part of the unit (3C) is pine covered canyons, (the ones that didn't burn) and the northern part is mostly cedar, juniper, etc... Good luck on your hunt

I have a tag for the Oct 1 elk hunt in unit #27 I haven' t hunted this area in a long time (14)years can any one point me to an area wher I would have a good chance for a good bull. I know that this area has a good pouplation of elk but I have never gotten drawn for this early hunt. any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Mon, you have the tag of several lifetimes, I would suggest you do a little scouting and not let that tag be wasted.

Try North of Rose Peak and along the west side of the Blue River in the wilderness area.