Sign in to follow this  
metau

300wm, 212 ELD-X or 215 Berger Hybrid???

So I'm putting together an order so I can finish the changes that I want to make to my 300 win mag. At the same time, I want to switch from the 180 Accubonds to something with a much higher BC. Everything I am reading is pointing me to these two bullets. Has anyone used both of these in one of the large 300's, and if so, what were your thoughts? I'd like to get the order out by Friday so that way everything is waiting for me when I get back from Yellowstone.

Thanks.

I swear by the Berger 215. It has been my most reliable performing bullet. It is a match made in heaven for the 300WM. The high BC and short bearing surface are a couple of great things about it. You will not go wrong with the 215!

That being said I have a few hundred 212 ELDX waiting for me at home to test out. Hornadys extensive testing and Doppler research has me intrigued enough to try them. I am looking forward to reading about terminal performance at distance on critters. I doubt they will achieve the same speeds as the 215s but I hope the gap is not much.

Depends on barrel length and maker but a 28" with a stiff charge of H-1000 will put you in the 3K ballpark.

I'm hoping I can get the either bullet shooting good in the 2950-3000fps range. Barrel is only 26" though so I know I will be getting close to max pressures. I'm thinking of trying H1000, Retumbo and IMR7828.

I highly recommend H-1000 in the WinMag! Get you an 8 lb keg and tune a good load. Hard to beat Hodgdons extreme line of powders for temp insensitivity when shooting in AZ summers and hunting in the winter.

• Like 2

H1000 is tough to beat in the 300 win. As far as the 212 or 215...whichever your rifle digests the best...

With that case and those BC's, I wouldn't worry much about obtaining maximum velocities.

I'd run the bullet that is most accurate in your rifle with your powder of choice....

H1000 is tough to beat in the 300 win. As far as the 212 or 215...whichever your rifle digests the best...

+ 1....

I don't have a .300WM, but I have a reduced load in my .300RUM for my kids to shoot using the 215 Hybrid @ 2965fps. I also have a full power load at 3100. They fly amazing in my 28", 1:10" twist barrel. I have shot them to 1771 yards on steel, and it is amazing you can hear the gong when you hit it at a mile+. I don't see any game animal walking away from a well placed shot with the 215 Hybrid as long as you put it where it needs to go at 1000 yards.

I have not shot the 212 ELD-X.