Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

30A October-Anybody else?

Friday morning at 8:20am. After only hiking about 2 miles we found this 8 pointer, a fork. and two does together. Two shots at an easy 350 yards with my 7MM SAUM.

Not big, but a buck that I was not going to pass on in this unit.

Didn't see squat for the next three days that we were trying to fill my buddy's tag.

That is the same way I pack deer out (showed to me by my dad) I have never see anyone else do it that way

That's a sweet buck so i'll forgive you for calling it an eight pointer haha. I ended up taking a smaller buck on Wednesday by myself. I will post up the pics here a little later. I'll tell you one thing you've got to be hungry for a coues or very very lucky in this unit. Those mountains punched me in the face every single day but I kept punching back till I finally made it happen on my first coues.

• Like 1

Congrats to to you guys for filling tags out there, I have settled for that unit twice with left overs and couldn't make it happen.

Ended up going solo most of the hunt. Really had to work to find the deer. Saw two bigger bucks but without somebody there to call my shots and watch the deer I really wanted to make sure my shot was a slam dunk. Was watching an area I had seen a good buck bed when this guy came over the ridge at about 1 o clock on Wednesday. I decided for my first coues he was good enough and I was sick of the 2 hour hike into my glassing area. 1 shot at 350 and I tagged my first grey ghost. I gained so much respect for these amazing little deer. Such awesome animals. That country they call home will beat you down if you aren't ready. My sagebrush muley hunting friends back home have no idea haha. Already looking forward to next year and a little bigger buck hopefully.

post-13964-0-23763500-1477884684_thumb.jpeg

post-13964-0-86889100-1477884744_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Friday morning at 8:20am. After only hiking about 2 miles we found this 8 pointer, a fork. and two does together. Two shots at an easy 350 yards with my 7MM SAUM.

Not big, but a buck that I was not going to pass on in this unit.

Didn't see squat for the next three days that we were trying to fill my buddy's tag.

That is the same way I pack deer out (showed to me by my dad) I have never see anyone else do it that way

I too learned this from my dad and his hunting buddies. We always hunted these in Sonora and many hunters I know down there still use this method.

Ended up going solo most of the hunt. Really had to work to find the deer. Saw two bigger bucks but without somebody there to call my shots and watch the deer I really wanted to make sure my shot was a slam dunk. Was watching an area I had seen a good buck bed when this guy came over the ridge at about 1 o clock on Wednesday. I decided for my first coues he was good enough and I was sick of the 2 hour hike into my glassing area. 1 shot at 350 and I tagged my first grey ghost. I gained so much respect for these amazing little deer. Such awesome animals. That country they call home will beat you down if you aren't ready. My sagebrush muley hunting friends back home have no idea haha. Already looking forward to next year and a little bigger buck hopefully.

Congrats! People that are not from around here or never hunted these really underestimate what whitetail hunting in Arizona means. No easy rolling hills, no tree stands, etc, haha.