Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

late archery strategies

I had 5bs last year. Frozen crunchy ground till 11ish then turns to mud. Pretty hard to spot and stalk. I was out the whole hunt spot and stalk the whole time with my ol man. Was on Bulls every day, but dad was having trouble. I was seeing elk around this one water hole consistently so, the last evening we hung a stand on it for my dad. He had a raghorn come into it late in the evening. No chance to get a shot off but, I would definitely sit water if I drew it again. BTW, I noticed Bulls seemed to be bedding in the open on secluded meadows.

Sitting water is the last thing id be doing on that hunt. For the most part they've already hit water by first light and are making their way to bedding areas as the sun comes up. They will be out feeding til around 8 or 9 am and be in their beds til almost dark. Either get up high and glass or find a ridge they like to travel in the morning and still hunt/put out a blind.

If it's dry, it's the first thing id be doing. My observations are that Bulls water more in daylight hours during the late season then they do in August and September.

• Like 1

Man these are some really good tips

Here is a picture of the late archery bull I shot a few years ago. The bulls we were seeing were in some of the nastiest canyons once they headed for the bedding areas. They were up feeding until about 9 at the latest. I got lucky and this bull was with some cows that had come back into heat. He gave himself away by bugling.

post-1717-0-15197100-1470281813_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm also thinking about this tag, I've known people to have luck with sitting heavy trails, water. Also spot and stalk mid day. But I think the crunchy ground is also true, makes the stalk difficult. I guess it depends on the terrain your hunting. But for me I would say spot n stalk!!