lancetkenyon

New .300WM Load Development

if you keep getting factory rifles to shoot so well, the custom makers will be paying you a visit with uncle Guido :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

It is funny, after finishing this load development, I asked myself why I keep spending money on custom guns?

Not all factory rifles shoot this well, this one is a true tack driver. Heck, not all custom rifles shoot this well!

HAHA... with that being said. Lance if YOU where going to purchase a factory rifle.... (only one), which one?

Look for a thread on load development for a Ruger M77 in 7 Rem Mag pushing a 168 HVLD to start soon. Completely factory rifle.

I have another one just like this if you want to do two at once to compare...

M77 tang safety. All stock.

I have done 3 already. All 3 loved the same load. Not crazy fast, but accurate. I have sighters loaded up for the Ruger in that recipe to testablish out during sight in.

Rem or Win brass

CCI 250 Mag

62.0 RL22

168 HVLD

2.635" CBTO

The M77 LA has a short magazine box, so you can't chase the lands if you want a repeater.

If I were to buy a readily available factory rifle from a big name store, I have 3 in mind.

Leaving out the high end factory rifles like Kimber, Cooper, Sako TRG, Nosler, etc., here are my top 3 in no particular order, for the average Joe.

1. Savage. I have never been a fan of Savage rifles. They have always seemed cheep to me. But the one I just did load development for sure is accurate! I still wouldn't buy the bottom end of their line though. I have seen and handled a bunch. Still not a fan of those at all.

2. Tikka. I have thought about picking one up as a loaned for a while. Just haven't done it yet. Not a ton of aftermarket support if I ever wanted to go crazy on it in the future. They are supposed to be really accurate out of the box.

3. Remington. Still my favorite factory rifle. I know, I know. The LR, Sendero, Alaskan, Mountain, or TI are all way up there in price compared to Savage, but they are really nice factory rifles. Huge aftermarket support if you want to customize them.

Honorable mentions:

Ruger. The new RPR (Ruger Precision Rifle) is awesome. The American series are cheap and pretty nice. I have had a couple M77s, and all shot pretty well. Not a lot of aftermarket support though.

• Like 1

It is funny, after finishing this load development, I asked myself why I keep spending money on custom guns?

Not all factory rifles shoot this well, this one is a true tack driver. Heck, not all custom rifles shoot this well!

I can't wait to get my hands on this rifle!! Thanks for all the hard work Lance! I kinda feel bad for the buck that's on the receiving end of Lances hard work....kinda.

You said or thought you said a little more head space for the fire formed brass vs the virgin brass. Doesn't the resizing die makes the brass back to factory setting or is this the brass slightly stretching the shoulder? Ive learned from you guys that the neck needs to be trimmed after a few shots, and look for pressure signs, but do I need to anneal the brass often? What else needs to be done?

I have done 3 already. All 3 loved the same load. Not crazy fast, but accurate. I have sighters loaded up for the Ruger in that recipe to testablish out during sight in.

Rem or Win brass

CCI 250 Mag

62.0 RL22

168 HVLD

2.635" CBTO

The M77 LA has a short magazine box, so you can't chase the lands if you want a repeater.

We will see if you are 4 for 4. I loaded a few up today and will give them a go next sunday day at PRGC.

Thank

Harley

You said or thought you said a little more head space for the fire formed brass vs the virgin brass. Doesn't the resizing die makes the brass back to factory setting or is this the brass slightly stretching the shoulder? Ive learned from you guys that the neck needs to be trimmed after a few shots, and look for pressure signs, but do I need to anneal the brass often? What else needs to be done?

So let's say factory virgin brass is 2.110" from case base to shoulder datum.

You shoot it in your rifle, and they come out 2.124" after firing.

If you are reloading for your rifle, you would only want to bump the shoulder back about .002", to 2.122". Not all the way back to 2.110". This is way more important in Standard cases vs. belted magnums, which space off the belt and not the shoulder.

I anneal every time I reload a case.

Depending on cartridge, you will need to trim every 2-5 firings. Cases stretch when firing and resizing. When you hit max length, trim neck back .010".

• Like 1