Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

New Sting and Sites

So I recently replaced my bowstring, and also upgraded my sites but have not installed the sites yet.

The sites are black gold ascent verdict 5 pin slider. My question is how many arrows do I need to get through the string before I set the slider?

Also, any tips on setting the slider and tape? I can read directions just fine but am wondering if there are any hacks or improvements that you guys who have done this a few times would suggest.

Only changed strings a half dozen times but I was told shoot at least a hundred arrows through and then check the timing on the cams. Strings have steadily gotten better and don't seam to stretch as much these days.

For the sight tape, I would recommend you dial your sliding pin in dead nuts at the near range and make a tiny reference mark at the tip of the range pin. (you can use a pencil but I scratch a tiny line with a sharp knife because it is more precise for me) Then slowly walk it out to the furthest distance you can hold a group at. Once you are solid at the far distance make another reference mark where the tip of the range pin is now. The farther the distance between these two sight in yardages the more accurate your first selection of a sight tape will be. You will now try to match up one of the sight tapes with the precise marks you made earlier. One should match perfectly. When you install the tape, take extra care to make sure the hash marks are placed over the appropriate reference marks made earlier.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

I could type a lot for making sight tapes so I'll try to cut this short.

I like my pins centered in the sight housing. So, you will sight in your middle pin with the slider at the highest point. Slide your sight up and lock it in. If you have 5 pins and want 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 yard pins then put your 40 yard pin in the middle of the housing. You will adjust the entire housing to sight in this pin.

Next, you will sight in your 50-60, or last 2 pins by moving the individual pins around. I usually do the top pins last after I've made a sight tape but you can do this at any point.

Now you should have all pins sighted in with the slider at the top as high as it will go, this will maximize the distance you can achieve out of your bottom pin.

Next, download the TAPs program. TAP stands for The Archery Program. You do not need the full program, just the sight tape program, it's $15. When I get home I'll post the labels I use but you can also just use plain paper and tape the sight on. Packing tape works but I ordered some clear arrow wraps from Onestringer because they are thicker. I also put a bead of glue around the tape once finished to keep water out.

Print out the sight in tape and attach one to your sight. Line your needle up to one of the lines on the sight tape with your slider locked in at the highest point.

Now, move back slowly as you adjust the sight down with the slider to your max distance. I use a 3 pin slider with 30-40-50 yard pins so I sight in at 50 and 90 to make my sight tape.

You will use the marks from the sight in tape to input to the TAPs program. This is very accurate as long as you are very accurate. You should be able to notice a POI change with each tic mark on the sight in tape at 90+ yards.

I like to check my 50 and 90 yard marks at least 3 different trips to the range before I print a tape to confirm I've got it right.

Let me know if you have any questions or if that even made and sense.

I pretty much do mine the same as Bmart, except I sight in the furthest pin first. Currently it's my 60. I like it to be down close to my bubble level so I can easily make sure I'm level before firing an arrow at a distance.

I had more troubles with the peep twisting while breaking in a new string then the site moving up and down because of string stretch.

I went through 3 shooting sessions and then went ahead and locked in my pins and set my slider.

I set all 5 pins 30-70 (I can count how many shots I've had under 30 yds on one hand). It took a while and a few different shooting sessions to get it all set. I then found a pre-printed tape that lined up with my pins and put that on for now Using my bottom pin as the slider.

I would like to set this up with a custom tape as described by Bmart described once I have played with it. The way it is set now I only have slider for 60+ as the pins are set with the dial in the highest possible position. I am excited to try it out and see what happens as I begin shooting longer distances. I have never practiced much beyond 60.

I will post up more questions as they come up. And of course if you think I have done something wrong let me know.