Sign in to follow this  
3rd gen native

Scouting for bandtails

With the rains in southeast AZ. slowing I've been out scouting for bandtail pigeons, this year is looking good, Birds are dropping down from the north sooner than last year.

An above average mast crop is helping to sustain the increased population of canyon rockets as well as mineral heavy water tanks which these birds are often found hanging around.

I've hunted these big birds most of my life in AZ. from Prescott to the rim country and now in Cochise county.

Finding them can be a chore without bino's they love sitting on tall dead pines in the mid morning and if they haven't been shot over will often times sit until you are standing under them, Gawking at you until nerves take over and they launch from the perch, Be ready as they will surprise you as to how fast they can be!! Shooting at passing flocks in canyons with towering trees can be a real challenge!!

So what say you? any others that chase the canyon devils :D :D :D

I used to way back when I was a little snot nosed kid with my grandpa around Munds Park. They are fun too shoot that's for sure.

I have shot them in 22,5a and 27. They have to be one of the fastest birds out there. I know I have killed more pine limbs than birds.