Coues Archer

.243 105 gr AMAX Reloading Help??

Hello guys, so I purchased all the equipment needed to start reloading my own ammo. Ive sized my cartridges at 2.045 which is the standard for .243 brass. I had one question regarding the powder. I am using RETUMBO which looks like a really bulky powder, the starting suggested powder is 46.0 gr.. My only question is that when I put the powder into the cartridge it is filled pretty close to the top of the casing. when I seeded the bullet into the case it literally hits the powder.. Is this normal?? I'm so used to factory ammo which has alot of space for powder within the cartridge. Please give me your feed back on what you guys have experienced with this powder/load; and if its safe to shoot. According to my reloading manuel it is! All specs are good my OAL = 2.760 I have seeded each bullet to 2.765 which is a .15 JUMP from the lans of my rifle.

Yes some loads will have a compaction load (a load where the bullet is seated into the powder leaving no space) be careful to make sure that it calls for this and that your scale is calibrated correct. If overloaded it might be a bad deal. Can you post a pic of your reloading manual with the info?

Reloading Tip as well when loading, only keep one powder out on the bench. Never leave various types out, to easy to get mixed up

• Like 2

I don't see where that powder is for a 105 gr a max in Hornaday manual #9

I found it on their online reloading data but looking about a compaction load?

post-2686-0-05768400-1472444870_thumb.png

A few observations and questions for you.

Trim to length should be 2.035". You are at max case length now, and will need to trim after you shoot and resize just once.

Why did you choose Retumbo? With the 105 AMAX, it is a compressed load. 48.0 is max at 108%. It is "bulky" because it is a very slow burning powder, usually used in overbore large magnum cartridges pushing heavy bullets.

There are a lot more popular powders out there for your desired bullet and weight.

I would look at something like H4350, H414, H4831SC, RL17, RL19, RL22, IMR4350, IMR4831, Ramshot Hunter.

What cases are you running? Different case brands have different capacities. Win & Rem usually have a bit more case space than Federal, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, due to brass content of the cases themselves.

What twist barrel do you have? You should be running a 1:8" twist for that bullet, but can squeeze by with a bit less if needed.

• Like 3

Ok yes you should be good to go, I just over looked the data. If you look again you can see the "C" next to the 49.0.

C=Compression load

But lance has absolutely great info

post-2686-0-66664700-1472445487_thumb.jpeg

Thank you, Vowel! So I should be good to go correct? And Lance; How is it that 48.0 gr is at 108% MAX if 49.0 gr. is the highest I can reload?

If all your info is correct I would say you are good. Always start out with the lowest grn in powder when shooting and look for pressure signs as you go up.

Okay thank you Vowel! One more question. Why would Lance suggest to neck size down to 2.035 when the powder is high already as is at 2.045. I mean it just doesn't seem logical to me that I would shorten my overall length of casing. If I shortened it to that length it would yield less space hence making more pressure wouldn't it?? Idk just seems a bit far fetched considering the situation with brass space.

The books generally recommend a 0.020 - 0.010 off the max case length so trimming is not needed as frequently after each firing of the cartridge. If you start out at 2.045 then you will need to trim your brass before your next reload. The brass will most likely stretch to 2.046+ when fired. If so you will need to trim it back to at least 2.045, but as the books recommend go at least 2.035.

0.010 is not much, it should not effect the powder capacity of what your doing.

Lance can probably chime in here, much more knowledge than me by far! I enjoy reading and learning from his post