Sign in to follow this  
Huntnchick

Hunting tips for a new hunter....

So I married my husband and then got into hunting. He has hunted most his life and so this is all new to me. He hasn't been overly successful as far as big animals, which is fine, we have always had meat between us. He hasn't taken time to educate me since he says it has just been luck.

I won't ask where the animals are, or even for you to share hard earned secrets. What I want to know are things that can help me be more successful...

My first hunt I walked into cow elk and dropped one in front of me. Second hunt I hiked day after day and seriously got a deer as we were driving out that night. 3rd was a spike bull muzzleloader and we saw them driving after long hikes. Last two years were early bull archery and I just missed the ones I happened to get close to. Two weeks ago I missed a spike using my wrong pin.

This was my first archery deer hunt and I hiked a ton these past two weekends. I did jump one buck but I didn't even know he was a buck until he turned to walk away. Never had a shot anyways on him.

So what is the best method? Spot and stalk, just stepping on them, tree stands, sitting water, feeding the mule deer and having a stand, do cameras make a difference, how do you scout, what are some things to look for to find places they might be hanging out... Walking and glassing, how early do you get to a spot to scout and what do you look for, are bigger (like 2 points and up) ever within a mile of doe during archery season, so if I see doe do I just skip that area??????

Please don't be offended of all my questions, if any of them are rude to ask to those who have worked hard to discover them for themselves, then don't be upset and just let me know.

Janell

• Like 1

Hi, Janell!

I'll share a couple thoughts before the many great replies you'll get from others here after.

So what is the best method?

There are tons of answers, thoughts, and opinions, but at the end of the day, I think it's the one that fits you the most.
It takes a lot of patience and skill to sneak up on deer, yet it also takes a lot of planning and patience to wait for one to come to you. The "best" will also vary greatly on terrain and veg type, along with which deer species you're after.
If you do decide to spot and stalk, I prefer doing so on bedded deer that I've spotted through binoculars in "stalkable" country. And arguably, mule deer may be a bit more forgiving.
Sitting will without a doubt present more (quality) opportunity, at least at first. But it will require some scouting and planning. Cameras, tree stands and ground blinds are all useful tools for ambush hunting, but aren't required. Salt is a great lure, water is probably best. Lots of info on these if you search around the site. Here is a good, recent thread. http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/66827-spot-and-stalk-or-hunt-from-a-blind/
Sounds like you're definitely on the right track, and good luck on your next one!!
  • Like 1

Hard to call yourself a New hunter with that much animal blood on your hands, Congrats on your success. My grandpa always used to tell me its better to be lucky than good sometimes. My best bull to date was shot right near the road after a long long long morning hunt, on the way back to camp. I think all methods are successful just some people do each method better than others. Find what you are best at.

I love game camera for many reasons most being that you never really know what you are going to get on camera. I enjoy the hike in and out with my wife and family checking the camera during the summer time.

In regards to horn size shoot what makes you happy who cares what anyone else really thinks.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! Two weekends ago I went for my first ever archery deer hunt and hiked from 545 to 3. I had a lot of encounters with a variety of animals. Just before 2 I saw a black bear and it freaked me out. It was going away from me but it reminded me of my first encounter so I was shaken. I rushed to the road I was trying to get to and walked up to two bedded spike bulls and a cow. I stopped at 55 yards and sat down and they didn't mind me.

I love walking slow in hopes I step on them since I love hiking. but I was scaring birds 100 yards away being as quiet as I could.

I am amazed when a hunter has pictures of animals from glassing, or says they have been watching a certain one for years. Hunting seems like it is so random for me, and I want to find that consistency! I really want to understand how animals are and how routines work and where they go for seasonal changes. I have seen 1 4 point buck in 6 years of hiking and hunting. Except the strip, they are all over up there!

Think of all your experiences and start putting them together. Also read as much about the animals that you are interested in by biologist. Learn the habitat they like (food, water, cover, escape routes,etc.). You will start putting all the pieces to the puzzle together. I think there is something you can learn every year. When I started hunting with a rifle I would sit on a high hill and glass. I got tired of shooting deer at 300+ yards so I switched to muzzle loader. Then I had to get closer and it got more challenging and I learned new things. Then I started bow hunting and started learning new things I missed as a rifle hunter. As far as size of the animal goes, what I tell my daughters who I am teaching to hunt, it is only one person deciding to pull the trigger and that is you. I was so proud of my older daughter on her first deer, not because she shot it, but because she told me she did not feel comfortable with the shot and passed. I shoot the first legal animal I see. I only please myself and I prefer doing that one steak at a time. As far as hunting style goes then do what makes you happy as long as it is legal.

Best advice I've received and can share is this...

Glass south/southeastern facing slopes at first light. They will be out feeding on this is side of the hills (no matter what game you're after) at this time of day. Once the sun is up fully (around 9 -10 am) transition into the glassing the North facing slopes with thick vegetation. This is where they will be bedding down and where you should focus your attention for the remainder of the afternoon. When the sun starts to set, you can re-focus your attention on the south facing slopes or stay with the North facing slopes. They'll be getting up from their beds and making a move back to the South facing slopes to feed.

Once you glass them up and get an idea where they're going, make a plan to get in on them and get it done.

• Like 2

I just love being out there and glassing then tryin to find my way close enough to accomplish my goal. My goal is real simple harvest the animal ethically.

It sounds like your doing a great job and ready for trying to take animals that you know more of their history and have watched. Most of us are not professional hunters and are lucky to just harvest a animal. Maybe you could hire a guide for a few hunts and just study what a professional does as far as tactics.

You might talk with Amanda about the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program which she helps with.

Don't put pressure on yourself to need to be successful in wrapping your tag every hunt. Smell the roses.

Grab a camera and "hunt" during the off season- a great way to learn terrain, habits, and stalking close.

Maybe take the glassing class with Duwayne Adams. http://www.azbiggamehunting.com/

• Like 1

Really sounds like you have had some great success.

My advice....... You can always cover more country with your binoculars glassing than you can walking. Put your binos on a tripod no matter what power they are or how basic the tripod. You will find exponentially more animals that way. Pick vantage points that offer the best views but don't be afraid to look at small secluded pieces of country. This also allows you to come up with a good game plan for a stalk once a target animal is located.

As to bigger animals..... They are we're you find them. As simple as that sounds it's true. There's no real way that I have found to determine where a big animal is going to be other than to go look. They just need a place to be able to get some age on them. That could be an overlooked spot by the highway or 10 miles in the back country. Scouting is key. The more you are out looking the higher the odds of seeing a bigger animal.

As far as watching animals over long periods of time...... Deer are very habitual animals. If they are not pressured by predators or us they will do realatively the same things over and over again. Feed, water, bed. Early season they are easier to pattern in their day to day movements. The rut is another story. Deer will have certain places they prefer to go to rut does but anything is possible when love is in the air. The key during the rut is focusing on does. If there are does bucks will be there. As the does are never harassed in most of our units you can find the same ones in the same places year after year.

Most of all which has already been mentioned. Nothing is better for learning animals habits than spending time in the woods watching them. Keep a small journal and write down notes from your outings. Times of day sightings were made. Current temperatures, moon phase, weather. You will start to notice patterns that will only make you more successful.

Game cameras are a good resource as they are there when you aren't. 24 hour eyes in the woods. Any tool you can put in your arsenal is good.

Anyway my 2 cents.