Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Unit 10

I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend at our property - north of the crockton exit.

I could not believe how excited I got to see a herd of elk late sunday evening.

Now in yrs past - 4-6 ago-- seeing herds of 30-- 50 or more - come pouring out of the distant timber line was normal - see them in the mornings still out before bedding.

the trees on my land would be torn up from bull rubs - hear bugling for hrs - morning and evening in the surrounding land /area during the rut .

I regret to say This is the first herd - I've seen in about 3 yrs.

now from my porch I have a view of approx. 25-30 square miles of awesome elk habitat - the flats some ridges and hillsides and several tanks in the area

let me say agin how excited I got seeing this "herd "

I could actually count them on my 2 hands well if I counted all 4 fingers of each hand

yes a grand total of 4 cows with 4 calves - exiting a tank about 5:30

those are the first and only elk I've seen glassing in the last 3 yrs - we heard one bugle last yr

nice to know the 1600 rifle cow elk tags for the last 10 yrs is doing its job of controlling the elk population

Kudo's to G&F - last yr the rangers reported elk to cow ratio out of wack and suggested recommended more bull tags the commission obliged and came up with those 50 muzzy bull tags

lets see if they project aa 35% kill - that's 15 extra bulls would be taken .

Please explain to me how that is gonna change the ratio in a unit the size of 10

There was no way anyone thought to reduce the cow tags - more cows means more elk

guess $$$$ meant more than a rational suggestion or decision.

• Like 1

It's about money coupled with private land issues in the unit IMO. 1/4 of the unit is off limits as is and if the BO does something crazy it may close as well. The ranch you live on and north of the tracks is sloooowly building houses, limiting access and habitat. I think game and fish thinks "screw it" and let's make as much off the units reputation as they can. It's never been about wildlife

I remember just short handfull of years ago seeing giant (100-300 head) herds at rose well, red lake, bishop and a few other locations. Not even close to that now... 350 bulls were very common but now you should probably shoot. There will always be some great bulls in the unit but not like days past.

Last bull I personally shot was a mile from your house and the area was loaded with elk..... Haven't seen a bull worth shooting (300+) and very few cows since...

Its about money hut it is also about wht hunters said they wanted. When surveyed about 5 or 6 years back. The question was would you like more hunting oppurtunity with less succes or lower chance at drawing but then have a quality hunt. The reaponse was that they wanted oppurtunity ( by the majority). Until hunters organize and express their discontent the management structure wont change. The key is writing the commission and or being present at their meetings. I imagine alot of people that voted for oppurtunity are now re-thinking it and would prefer a quality hunting experiance. Even if it means a longer wait for a tag

Its about money hut it is also about wht hunters said they wanted. When surveyed about 5 or 6 years back. The question was would you like more hunting oppurtunity with less succes or lower chance at drawing but then have a quality hunt.The reaponse was that they wanted oppurtunity ( by the majority). Until hunters organize and express their discontent the management structure wont change. The key is writing the commission and or being present at their meetings. I imagine alot of people that voted for oppurtunity are now re-thinking it and would prefer a quality hunting experiance. Even if it means a longer wait for a tag

This state will never recover from that damm survey.

Why would azgfd let the state recover? They put out a slanted survey, they got the answer they wanted, they got a scapegoat (us) now they can do what they wanted to all along and tell us it's what WE wanted... Government at its finest... We lose and the animals lose more... But they get bigger budgets...

Went up that way to scout several times earlier in the year. Too much private land not enough elk. South of the unit on national forest is very nice and green but with the loaded tags they give 700 cows it won't last. I prefer a quality hunt for a unit like that.

• Like 1