I'm new the board, but the conversation and advice seems good so...

I got drawn for the November 36B Coues hunt and am looking for any recommendations.

Hunted there years ago with my grandfather and will be agin this year. Maybe his last (hope not). Last time down we took Tres Bellotas road south of Arivaca and then a FS road east a couple of miles.

Not sure how good the area is as I was not much of a hunter at the time (noisy kid).

Any suggestions?

sczoner;

Lots of coues in 36B, also tons of hunters. Check out a Coronado National Forest Map-Nogales Ranger District and try to check out as much country as you can before the hunt. It might be helpful to do some driving around during the Oct hunt Oct 29 - Nov 1 to get an idea of where the crowds will be in Nov. Good Luck!

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you and meet your hunting style. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them.

Guest Ernesto C

Welcome sczoner,in addition to what my fellow members are suggesting also check the Game and Fish web site,you may find something you'll like.

Ernesto C.

I have been hunting 36B for quite a few years now and only had 1 year where i did not fill my tag. The best thing is to get a good vantage point and glass, glass, glass. Especially the canyons high on the mountains, let the other hunters do the work for you as they hike around there. Shoot me an e mail we will be down there in oct.

Eric

Thanks for the input. Drove Tres Bellotas rd to our old site this weekend. It was covered in garbage FS RD 4166. The entire thing was littered with empty water bottles etc. It has never been this bad in the past.

We did some scouting in the area and did see some deer.

Then went and toured Ruby Rd. I had never been on that side before. A bit of late morning glassing off the various spur roads into some of the canyons and we saw some more deer, but a virtually no litter so that helps decide were we'll be.

This side seems to be recommended by Game and Fish as well as Dwayne Adams book.

In response to DiamondBack AZ. I'll hunt any type of terrain, but my Grandfather doesn't get around as well as he used to so the idea of finding a spot and glassing is proabably favorable or doing some still hunting in the thick Oak.

Hope to make another trip down in October.

ajohunter,

I'll email in the next couple of days.

Mike

I've spent soem time in 36B. Foun dit best to take Ruby Road as far in as you can. Lots of Coues. Take Ruby road for sure. When you see the Austerlitz mine its at a Y in the road as you head right great area a few good camping spots. Roads run all through the area. Stay to the right and you can walk or ride if you ahve a good one up the road to hunt the ridges. I have jumped a ton of the Ghosts up there. Good water most of the winter. Lots of ravines. If you wan to hunt the bottom keep you eyes up. There are a lot of great Lion ledges there and with the Coues and Pigs in the area the Lions are big and fat! Less 4 legged foot traffic as close to the border as it is. There are a lot fo roads and good views. Not really the area to be crossing if you want to stay out of view.

sczoner;

i hunted 36b last year for the first time and had great success. ive done a little scouting this year and have seen plenty of deer movement on the east face of fraguita peak...dont know if the october hunt will change any of that activity...ill be down there in november...and hopfuly a few more times before the hunt....i recomend checking it out

good luck & happy hunting

you shouldnt hunt in 36b theres 1000 hunters and 0 deer, put in for 36c or a, but not 36b worst unit in the world dont hunt there its bad!

Casey :angry:

firstcoueswas80;

I am right there with you man! 36B stinks! Think just give all those tags out in Nov to collect money from suckers. Everyone knows the few deer that are in 36B are herded out of there to 36A & C in early October and held in pens there until the end of December.

Oh yeah, what do you drive? I remember that you and I both got drawn for this stinking unit in Nov. again, and I'd like to B.S. with you some more about the lousy unit if I see you in 36B this Nov. I'll either be in a new gold Dodge Ram 2500 or a lifted white 1990 Surburban.

Sczoner you can't take anyone here too seriously. We're a bunch of jokers. Tell me what you are driving and I'll look for you too.

couesdiehard

My truck is a 88 ford f-150 white with a blue camper shell and there will probably be a old jeep truck there. the chances of my dad and i being seen where we hunt is kinda unlikely, we camp waaaay back there, near bear grass tank, thats where i killed my 80 incher. there will be atleast two 130 inchers in camp hanging so if you see them stop on by, heck even if there outta view ;) stop on by, well always offer a beer and talk hunting

casey

I hope you guys intend on telling folks the truth of the matter......well, just let me do it then. Folks, the truth of the matter is that there are so many deer in 36b that you could almost walk across thier backs and never touch the ground. Why else would there be over 2,000 permits given out there? 36c on the other hand is a very deer poor unit, the lions in there have all but wiped out the deer numbers not to mention the heavy amount of illegal traffic through there......must have scared all them deer across the street to 36b. So if you really want a good chance at harvesting a quality coues, 36b is the choice for you! ;)

Guest Ernesto C

Yes there is no deer in 36C so dont even bother to hunt there you'll be wasting your time,go ahead and donate your tags to the youth ones,don't apply there next year :P Yes 36b is better ;) yes buy your lion tag and you'll find one but you will not find a coues so dont take your deer tag... ;) hahaha are having fun?

I drive a red S-10 4 door Blazer and my hunting partners will have a red 98 Dodge club cab and a Brown Dakota Crew Cab with a matching shell.

My buddy should be down there the week before the hunt.

We're hoping to get down there at least a couple more times before hand.

Whether we have any deer hanging or not there'll be cold beer and my dad always stays in camp so feel free to drop by.

Hey sczoner & firstcoueswas80;

I sent both of you guys e-mails. I didn't want to let everyone on the site know all the places in 36B where we will NOT be seeing deer!

couesdiehard