Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

Is there a brass tester?

Is there a tester or a way to test brass? Or is there a way to tell if brass has been reloaded to the end off its life? Before they go south

Lots of indicators, some obvious others not.

Most obvious for me is the primer pocket becomes loose and you can feel the primer slip in easily when seating a new one. In severe cases it won't even hold the new primer in.

You can bend a paper clip or other skinny wire into a small pick with a 90 deg angle on the working end. Stick this pick inside the case and drag it up the inside of the case feeling for a distinct ridge. When the case head is getting ready separate it will form an indicator on the inside wall of the case that can be felt.

Some times you can see stress marks that will develope into splits on the necks. With more people annealing cases these days this will become less of a factor.

• Like 1

Never heard of any, if brass is just having the shoulder bumped back two thousands, it will last along time. Usually the neck will split on them first.

Loose primer pockets and split necks are the 2.things I get most with my cases. If the primer seats to easy I mark the brass and toss it after the next firing. If it splits it's trash.

Is there a tester or a way to test brass? Or is there a way to tell if brass has been reloaded to the end off its life? Before they go south

I have never seen one. A good visual inspection after they come out of the tumbler will let you see splits and sometimes the ring before the case seperates but I have never seen a case separation on anything other than 223/5.56 cases.