35 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand of bow would you get?

• Matthews
    • Hoyt
    • PSE
    • Renegade
    • Browning
    • Martin

I want to get my first bow and I don't know what to get. Please post your suggestions on this poll and give me some tips if you'd like. Oh and if I'm forgetting a brand just tell me. Thanks!

Edited by CouesSlayer

I shoot a PSE right now and really like it. I actually voted for a Mathews. I think they are the quietest bow on the market. Though they are a bit spendy.

I also really like the hoyt. Past that I'm sticking with my PSE.

Later,

recurveman

Go shoot a bunch of them, then determine it by comfort and how well you like them. Everyone is different and you need to find your own favorite. What is best for one person may be the worst for another. All the bows out today are quality and 100 times better than bows from just 10 years ago.

GMM

Just my 2 cents worth... Do yourself a favor and at least shoot a Parker bow. I bought an Outfitter Package from them a couple years ago and I can't screw up a shot with it. The Outfitter packages include the bow, carbon arrows, sight, quiver, rest, wrist-sling, and mechanical release and the whole package is pre-tuned and sighted in right out of the package. These are not the wildest new fangled bows on the market but they get very respectable speeds, and they shoot like a dream. I have been very satisfied with mine and even though like every stick shooter I have since added and changed many accessories my Parker has always been easy to re-sight and has stayed tuned like no other bow I've seen.

Guest Ernesto C

I personally use a PSE I like it,I also like Mathews...may be some day I'll get a Mathews.

Ernesto C.

I have 2 PSE's one the old cadillac weighs a ton and a carrera from couple years ago, huge improvements from PSE last few years as everyone knows. Martin has some really nice bows out there also I'm surprised the rating are so low.

Any of you tried the whisker yet this season?

Dan

My next bow will either be a Bowtech or a Reflex. Mainly because I am a southpaw and have a short draw length. These companies seem to cater to my kind.

CouesSlayer

Do yourself a favor and take GMM`s advise! Shoot several bows they are all excellent. I bought a hoyt back in 1991 and killed a small forked horn with it in 1992 . I thought it was an awesome bow, but then last year I bought a Mathews and I will tell you what! Huge differance! I love my Mathews and I almost can`t stand shooting that old Hoyt. Bows are like Stereo`s, the technology changes them every year. You really need to shoot several bows and find the one that you like! Don`t get hung up about the brand name!, just make sure you like it! All of the above is just my personel opinion so good luck on your selection! Coues Addict

Dang - why do people always seem to forget Ben Pearson and McPherson??? :(

I had a McPherson Solo Lite and loved it. Sold it and picked up a BP Diamondback VX and absolutely love it!!

Mathews Lx, make that one of the bows you try out. I shoot a Mathews MQ1 and I think it's as good as the Lx. Both bows are very quiet.

go with what fits you best and most commfortable...I am going to add a plug (and let me state for legal porposes :D I am not nor have I ever been an employee or associate of the following companys,further more the following are soley my opinions and not the opinions or beliefs of couse whitetail.com. :huh: :) .... :) :D :lol: :P

enough with that bull.

any way If it hasn't been said yet support your local archery shop/'s!!! my personal favorite and the only one I will buy archery specific gear and have do any work on my bow is cornerarchery in phoenix.Thier level of customer service ,competence and knowledge and commitment to quality left me dumbfounded It is truley rare in todays society of corperate chains. Im not going to spread bad jgu-jgu by mentioning names but there is a one stop shoping center for hunters in phoenix that I litteraly was at the counter with hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise and I walked out because thier customer service and appreciation SUCKS!! to me it dosent pay to spend my hard earned $$ from a place that could care-less about what you need or more importantly whats right for you as long as they make a sale.

I am huge on customer service it is how you know someone takes pride in what they do , and knows what they are doing- think about that if some one is at the pinacle of thier trade they are very humble in the way they carry them selves with a customer. (they have nothing to prove)

I had my choices down to the Mathews outback and the AR-34 both are extremely quiet. But in shoping around Parker makes some fast and light weight bows which is important to me because I have little patience for tree stand/water hole hunting.(I am not saying I am against theses methods I just like the glass and then stalk method more) And lastly all the bows mentioned are probably about the same quality so following the advise of GMM, try 'em all and buy the one that fits your hand the best, or do what I did and realize the one you have now is probably not too bad and pocket the cash :) .

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think GMM is right for sure I will just try a bunch of bows and see which one I like, the only problem is I live in a tiny town so I have to drive 2-5 hours to get to a good dealer! Which dealer did you guys get yours from in tuscon or phoenix?