Sign in to follow this  
coueshunter

Hornady SST .280

I am thinking about using the Hornady SST for my sons elk hunt. I will have him use the .280 but as for bullet choice, I am leaning towards these bullets for elk. Any opinions/ field experience with these? Also Norma makes a 156 grain factory load that I thought about. Any ideas??????.........thanks.........Allen.........

I would recommend the Interbond not the SST.

The SST is comparable to the Nosler Balistic Tip.

For big heavy Elk a bonded bullet will work better.

:ph34r:

Allen,

The SST should behave like a Nosler Ballistic Tip, if that is what you want. Federal loads the Partition, TSX and Accubond, and would be better for elk, imo, should your son shoot the shoulder. The SST should be fine for a broadside, behind the shoulder shot.

I have used a 129 SST from a 260 on antelope once. Hit the spine, so I can't give you pertinent expansion and penetration results . I would think of the SST more like a deer/antelope bullet. Have used plenty of Ballistic Tips on deer and all exited.

Doug~RR

if i recall right, i called hornady and talked to a tech there and he said the sst is designed to do the most destruction on impact, the interbond stays together a little more for deeper penetration, and the interlock does the least amount of shock and damage while retaining weight, which is better for light skinned game, which i am using for coues in nov.

the sst would be fine for coues.

so would the interlock. sst is an interlock with a polymer tip. the tip goes boom when it hits, hence more entry wound. the rest holds together and would make a nice exit hole on a coes deer in a 280.

hornady is a great bullet for half the price of the big boys...

the sst would be fine for coues.

so would the interlock. sst is an interlock with a polymer tip. the tip goes boom when it hits, hence more entry wound. the rest holds together and would make a nice exit hole on a coes deer in a 280.

hornady is a great bullet for half the price of the big boys...

1/2 the price? im paying $30 a box

I have never shot a SST or a Interbond on gaame, but had shot interbonds through a few of my rifles and they shot OK, nothing like my Accubonds though.

Maybe I'm the ONLY .280 Rem fan in this forum but will add my .02 for wiw. The Hornady sst did fine for me on heavy whitetails in the Mississippi Black belt region for years in a Ruger77. Took it hunting antelope and the outfitter had same caliber so of course I asked a hundred questions. He claims he had never lost an elk in 18 years with Nosler partition bullets, but had chased and grounded more than a few that had been shot/wounded with "superguns" and the SST/Ballistic tip stuff. Shot placement beats speed in his opinion.

My Browning didn't like partitions at all..so sold it after I found it didn't like anything atall. My remington which I hope to use halloween hunt in 36b is doing best with the Federal 140 fusions, followed by 140 accubonds. havent tried Hornadys yet. (Will remedy that friday at Ben Avery) Good Luck!

Southern, I had never had a problem with partitions for years but two years ago, my wife lost an elk that we have on video where the shot was, right behind the right front shoulder. There was lung foamy blood, big patches of it and yet that elk went about two miles. It was found later in the year by a guide freind of mine. I am real leary of partitions now and with an upcoming hunt for my son, I am switching from partitions. Barnes X is another bullet I am thinking about...........Allen............

I shot the SST's extensively a few years ago. Enough to wear out the barrel on the 270 winchester I had. They were very accurate, especially at long range. I shot prairie dogs out to 500 yards with them. They were good in the wind too. The 150 grainers and maximum charges of IMR7828 and magnum primers worked best. Varget and the 130 grainers were accurate and easier on the shoulder and rifle during daylong shoots. I killed 3 deer with them and loaned the rifle to my buddy for his 3 daughters and wife to use. They shot a dozen or so with it. It is a good deer bullet but seemed too soft for anything bigger than a large mule deer. I like Speer Grand Slams, Barnes Tripleshocks, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Nosler Partitions for elk.

Mark

Southern, I had never had a problem with partitions for years but two years ago, my wife lost an elk that we have on video where the shot was, right behind the right front shoulder. There was lung foamy blood, big patches of it and yet that elk went about two miles. It was found later in the year by a guide freind of mine. I am real leary of partitions now and with an upcoming hunt for my son, I am switching from partitions. Barnes X is another bullet I am thinking about...........Allen............

Thanks for that input. My experience is limited to less than elk sized animals for most part. I do know that the Partitions have not had a longstanding history of being an "especially" accurate bullet. And i did test a box of the 165 GR Barnes X at the range in my newer Rmington rifle. They did as well or better than the partitions so would see no problem useing them either.Bummer on losing the elk. Guess sometimes the hunt isn't over at Bang.

allen, Partitions are the "holy grail" of bullets. partitions are what all current bullets are compared to! it is like the muzzy 3 blade of bullets. it sets the standard. bullets meet and exceed it, as well as surpass it. if you lost thy elk with a lung shot chances are something went wrong... ie bullet hit a twig or something...