Sign in to follow this  
Souporman

Struggling in unit 10, question on elk behavior

Currently still in the cow elk hunt in unit 10. We have found an area we keep seeing a young bull in, and one that took off before we can identify it for sure,but that is just in the mornings, not seeing anything at dusk/sunset. Should we keep hitting that area hoping a cow will show up? Should the be split into gender herds by now?

This is my first elk hunt, I've seen plenty of mule deer and donkeys, just no cow elk. Any help/insight we be greatly appreciated. I had considered calling a guide service, but I think it would be a bit out of my price range

With the pressure of hunting season upon them, they'll go dang near nocturnal. You need to find and area that does have cows in it, and wait for them to slip up. How are you hunting them? Glassing, sitting water?

We taged out in 7w Saturday night. They bedded early but were out feeding early in the afternoon. We were in elk every time we hiked from the road. Bulls were with cows and bugling but we did not chase them because my dad is old and has a hurt foot. We just putted around in the forest till they came to us. He missed a shot Friday after noon at a tank but killed one Saturday afternoon at the same tank . Neither group were coming to water just kinda wondering past.

Stay diligent, and don't get discouraged. This wind isn't helping anything. The wind effects all 3 of their survival senses. They see more movement than theyre comfortable with, they cant smell as well, and they cant hear as well. A lot of them are going to move a lot less in the wind. I bet things pick up for you starting tomorrow. And as people start heading home things will calm down and get better for you as well. Just stick to it and be patient.

• Like 1

. I bet things pick up for you starting tomorrow. And as people start heading home things will calm down and get better for you as well. Just stick to it and be patient.

Lots of people driving the roads will be gone from here on out. I helped a friend this weekend and did not see the amount of elk we were used to, with the full moon and drivers they were in the thick stuff quickly. My friend is almost 70, so getting to far away from the roads isn't easy on him but last year on this hunt that is how I filled my tag.

• Like 1

Unit 10 is huge it kind of depends on where your at in the unit. If your close to williams I'm sure thats been pounded pretty hard.

If your seeing lots of donkeys then get away from paradise ridge! Typically that is a bull hangout. Near that area i would check the flats around ash fork. Or east towards perrins ranch.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys, have my father in law with me who is also 70 and can't put in the miles I can. I am convinced there is more donkeys in this unit than elk

Haven't hunted 10, but just finished the cow hunt in 9. Most of the animals we saw were in thick cover. A few bulls were still bugling and there were bulls with the cows we saw. Keep at it and don't give up.