DesertBull

12A East Early Hunt

Started off good. A squirrel made the mistake of barking at me while setting camp. He made a fine dinner. Browned in olive oil then fried up some onions, sorano chili, and bacon. Once it was all browned up i threw in a can of beef broth, fresh basil and a shot of bourbon. Let it simmer for an hour. Sort of s soup, sort of a stew.

post-331-0-45603700-1477457584_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

It rained all Monday night but morning broke cool, calm and clear skies.

Saw what looked to be a really good 4x4 walking down a ridge at first light. He was 630 yards away and never stopped. He was headed straight to bed. I kept arguing with myself whether to stay where i was and keep looking or make the long haul around the canyon to see if i could find him bedded. I stayed awhile, didnt see jack squat for bucks so decided to go for the long shot of finding a bedded buck in the blow down and wicked regrowth in the burn.

When i got to my new glassing point i was disappointed. It didnt look like a bedding area even though it was a northwest facing slope. no shade at all because all the timber was lying on the ground and only brush was growing in its place.

It was too late to go back now so i sat down and started going through each opening and what little shade the piles of blow down dead fall was providing. I found myself just going through the motions and not really concentrating on finding a deer ear, face or antler in the brush. I took a short break and resumed glassing. After ten minutes i was ready to go. I made myself take one more pass with the Swarovski's with full concentration.

I found a deer face staring out of the brush at 470 yards

post-331-0-67395200-1477459229_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I set up the 7 mag, dailed 5 MOA, chambered a Hornady 162 grain AMAX and waited. I kept the crosshairs on him for over an hour. Neck cramping and leg falling asleep.

It gave me time to go through the shot.. level the crosshairs, get the sight pitcure correct, etc

I saw him go to sleep a few times. His eyes would close then his head would tilt over.

I knew when he did stand i would need to get the shot off quickly because one step left or right and he would be gone in the brush.

Finally, i could see him gettng restless and in one motion he stood and stretched.

I put the scope dot on him right behind the shoulder snd shot.

I saw him mske a couple of jumps down hill then then a couple more up and to right.

It was 3:00 pm. I packed for the the hike through dead fall, catclaw and aspen brush. It was only 470 yards as the crow flies but it sucked big time. Every step was on or over a log while being grabbed By thorny catclaw

post-331-0-39722100-1477460392_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

4x4 with a small extra point on the left atler. I was alone so pics are poor.

post-331-0-30060600-1477460684_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-52190400-1477460738_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-42360900-1477460835_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

Funny story - One morning, pitch dark, i am parked at the end of a two track miles from no where. I see head lights coming but they didnt look like truck lights. There are several different roads they could take so i did not pay them any attention. I turned on my lights hoping they would see i was here.

Im getting my pack out of the back seat and they pull up right behind me and roll down the window and say hi!

It was a car full of japanese tourist looking for a spot to photograph the sunrise. The driver says, "What you hunt"? I said, "deer". Then he replied, "How many you get"?

That is when i SHOULD have answered, "You go now. You be here too long".

• Like 10

Great buck man. Thanks for the write up/ play by play. Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats