Sign in to follow this  
YoungHuntr

Thoughts on trail cam results?

I have the early November rifle tag for unit 32, an area we've been going to for some time now without a lot of success. Last year, I hunted an area we had seen a nice buck in a few years back, and spent some more time scouting it. There is a water source and some good canyons for shelter nearby. I only spent two days in this area last season, but on the last day I could hunt I went one ridge over and spooked a nice buck (3x3 or so) but couldn't seal the deal.

Long story short I've been super busy this year and not having a high clearance vehicle limits the country you can scout. I was finally able to set up my trail camera by the water three weeks ago and pulled the card today. I was hoping for some pictures of nice bucks that might tell me I needed to hunt there this year, but the results were inconclusive. Besides deer, I captured two mountain lions (including a big, mature tom), a bunch of javelina, and one coutamundi chasing after one of the two mountain lions. For deer, over a three week period I captured probably 7-10 different deer encounters. The majority were does, some had young ones, but I was able to make out two bucks, one that is a small spike and one that's a little forkhorn (I think).

Anyways my question is this. I'm hoping to get my first coues on this hunt after years of trying now that I'm set up a bit better and have a little experience under my belt. The spring I put the camera on is a bit low in elevation for what most people consider typical coues country, maybe the reason why I have never seen any signs of other humans down there (seriously, no trash, not even a footprint). I'm not picky when it comes to what I will shoot, as long as its legal.

Unfortunately I've been so swamped I just havent been able to put the time in scouting. In my head, I think I should focus my time near the spring, considering I had a run in with a good, mature buck close to that area last year. I also glassed up (without having a tripod at that time) quite a few does around the spring. My head tells me hunt the spring, but my heart says you haven't gotten any proof that there are anything but a few small bucks around, after all there's no guarantee that buck from last year is still in the area or even alive. I find it a little disconcerting I didn't get any more pictures of bucks coming in to water considering the lack of moisture and temperatures lately. However, I'm no expert at setting up or using a trail camera, and its very possible I just didn't capture all the deer that came it. Its also true that I was only able to have the cam up for three weeks, not exactly a huge sample size.

So I'm open to advice. From what I've observed of the spring, would it make sense to stick to that area? Obviously if the does are around, there are bucks somewhere. Or during the hunt (we'll have the family jeep then), should I consider moving up in elevation to more typical coues habitat (areas we have also seen deer) and testing my luck there, where the population density may be higher?

I feel like the spring should be a great area, despite not having a ton of proof. I just want to use what little time I have t0 hunt wisely. Advice and opinions welcome.

Cliffs: Hunt the area where I know there is a water source and deer, but don't know if there are any mature bucks, or go looking for greener pastures at a higher elevation where there may be more deer?

Is it possible they are able to hit the spring just outside of your camera angle? Also springs can go below ground and pop back up somewhere else where they might be drinking. My guess is the older bucks are probably nearby but drinking somewhere else. They are very habitual unless they are bumped or pressured especially when these hunts start up. After the morning glass, focus your glassing on the north, northwest facing slopes the rest of the day. Stay with it.

• Like 1

Is it possible they are able to hit the spring just outside of your camera angle? Also springs can go below ground and pop back up somewhere else where they might be drinking. My guess is the older bucks are probably nearby but drinking somewhere else. They are very habitual unless they are bumped or pressured especially when these hunts start up. After the morning glass, focus your glassing on the north, northwest facing slopes the rest of the day. Stay with it.

Very possible on both counts.

Lots of does in a remote area, which in that area you are not seeing any signs of other humans = Big Buck has to be somewhere around that area good luck and shoot straight.

• Like 1

So many conflicts in your post. First you state you don't care as long as it is a legal buck then you post about more mature bucks. Which do you want? Everybody thinks running a trail camera you will see all animals in the area. Not true. An example I will give you here for mule deer. One ridge running E-W, about 1000 foot in elevation from the bottom to the top, 3 benches on the ridge. Lowest bench had does and young bucks with water tanks. Middle bench had small bucks, forkies to 3x3's with a few does. Top bench had big bucks with no does. Those big bucks would only have to go 1/2 mile to water at the tanks but they never did.

I would start out at the spring and if not happy there then move.