Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Kaibab Grouse Trip

Went up to the north rim this weekend to find some blue grouse with Rica. Missed a gimme shot :blink: on Friday, and got one bird on Saturday. Rica flushed five other birds that escaped through the thick timber. Did not see any deer or turkey. The scenery and the hunting was better than the shooting.

NavajoRez9-07002.jpg

NavajoRez9-07012copy.jpg

NavajoRez9-07005copy.jpg

Great pictures- enjoy the Grouse country pics , even from last year.

Not sure what you do with the feathers, but they are fantastic to tie flies with !

Thanks for sharing!

AzP&Y

Doug

Cool pics Doug. I gave some grouse hunters with two flat tires a ride back to the lodge this past weekend on the Bab.

I never saw a grouse or a turkey, kind of suprised...

Amanda,

Unfortunately, I did not take any more pics. Forgot to take one with Rica and the bird, or her in any of the clearings we hunted. The aspens might be about one-two weeks away from turning golden, so another trip may be in order.

Stan,

I thought about flat tires driving down those rocky roads. Guess one is more prone to do so when my tires' wear bars have their wear bars showing. Majin those hunters were thankful to get a ride after a bummer of two flats. Somehow I thought you were going to be elk hunting on the south rim. How was the deer hunting?

Doug,

Will look at them nest time. Grouse nymphs? Wet hackled grouse?

Cool pics Doug!! I didn't see any grouse or turkey, but I saw some deer each morning and evening. Passed a nice 3x2 Friday morning in my stand, and ended shooting a spike Sat morning.

Stan,

Somehow I thought you were going to be elk hunting on the south rim. How was the deer hunting?

I didn't have a hunter for archery elk this year. I'm way to busy to take a full week off to guide this Sept. The deer hunting was a little slower than I had expected it to be.

I saw a bomber right out of the gate opening morning. The only problem was, he was looking at me first. I saw over a dozen bucks still hunting through the draws. Mostly little guys, spikes and forkies. I think I'm done with deer until December.................

I remember when I just barely missed a grouse with my bow at 25 yards while deer hunting up there. Wish I could have that shot again, but it will probably never happen.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

I talked with the game warden up there. He said the best buck taken so far was by a car on Thursday night around Jacob Lake. It was a 32" 5x5 that scored 188". The only deer that warden had seen shot so far was spikes and forks.

Not trying to hijack your thread Doug but here are a few from the weekend. I think I was on the other side of Hwy 67.

bab07002.jpg

bab07006.jpg

I'd like to see him in about 6 or 7 years :)

bab07009.jpg

Doug,

Will look at them nest time. Grouse nymphs? Wet hackled grouse

You bet- wet hackled nymphs- slow retrieve. A favorite of mine is the -Callibaetis Mayfly Nymph. Grouse Hackle simulates the legs.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can299.html

This one works awesome in the white mountains- they love that peacock herl also.

AzP&Y

Doug

Thanks, I bookmarked that site for the tieing patterns. Getting close for the brookies at Big or Crescent, although the Boulders in Utah are about an equal drive from Flag.

Thanks for sharing Doug! I was in 13A last week and I flushed my first ever covy of wild chuckers!!! I was stoked!! Man those suckers would be hard to hunt up there! But, so are the grouse. Good luck with the bird hunting..... but, shouldn't you be thinking Dec. Coues Deer??? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

CnS

Gino,

The GM mentioned the chukar over in 13, but guess the population is sparse. Don't know if I really want to chase em up and down the verticals and have them laff at me.

Have not been thinking of December Coues at all :rolleyes:

Went flying over the unit again with google earth a couple of evenings ago. Just waiting for the temps to drop before I do any real time scouting. We had frost on the pumkins up here in Flag last night, so it won't be long till the desert is reasonably hospitable.

Doug~RR

Gino,

The GM mentioned the chukar over in 13, but guess the population is sparse. Don't know if I really want to chase em up and down the verticals and have them laff at me.

Have not been thinking of December Coues at all :rolleyes:

Went flying over the unit again with google earth a couple of evenings ago. Just waiting for the temps to drop before I do any real time scouting. We had frost on the pumkins up here in Flag last night, so it won't be long till the desert is reasonably hospitable.

Doug~RR

Bit o frost here, too! I'm luvin' it!! :) You are right about where I found those birds being Rough!! But it would be very huntable. I heard them long before I saw them. They were just over the rise from me as I was glassing.... when I walked around that side glass they held for a bit (or ran a bit) and then busted out about 80 yds below me. If you ever want to give them a whirl.... let me know I am sure they will be in the same area... it is a perfect spot for 'em.

CnS