Sign in to follow this  
gnoto

36A Coues Hunt

All

Spending this season in 36A. Looking pretty good to this point. Anyubody actually hunted it yet this year. All I have been doing is glassing and I have seen a lot of you there.

I will be on the hunt the 12th to the 21st. There are a ton of people there right now. Lots of traffic most everything I ahve seen is running for the highest point it can get to. Unfortuanlty for them Ghosts I will be there waiting. Hope to see you and good luck

Spent a little time last weekend in 36a, until the weather turned bad. Didn't see any deer but lots of signs. I also saw a lot of cat tracks and scat. Anyone had any luck with cats in this area? Can't believe how fast the rain destroyed the roads.

Last Javalina season my nephew and I called in 2 mountain lions using the j-13 call. He killed a tom that weighed 105lbs field dressed. it was the biggest thing he has killed so far. Just birds until then. He is 17 and hooked. He bought a bow and has been working very hard at being good with it.

Lots of BIG cats. The j 13 is something. I was messing around last Feb HAM hunt. Just sitting back having a snack and figured I would try to call in a few pigs. Bow only no side arm stupid for sure. Mr kitty came way to close before I even noticed him. When I did I was a bit hasty is trying to set up a shot. I was not sure if it was going to be defensive and missed him low. I tried to nock another arrow and he was gone. Glad because he had the advantage for a few seconds there. I was near the Japanese Tank off Ruby Road. Where did you guys call in and bag the TOM.

We were in Penitas wash just north of the hills. we had to carry him out about 1/2 mile to the truck. My nephew was very excited about the whole thing and I could hardly keep up with him.

Lee

pretty nice spot to watch him come in. The j 13 is something

you ever go up to the top of Batamore just to East. Never walked up but often think that is a great spot. Kinda interesting spot.

gnoto- Are you talking about Batamote hill, next to the Batamote ranch on the north side of the cerro colorados in 36A? If so I have hunted that thing all over and could give some decent advice. We have taken numerous bucks out of there. Let me know.

trufletch

gnoto,

I've spent a lot of time in the area also. Pretty much all over the area. I'll be out there next month. If you see a silver chevy z71 it's me. Stop by my camp and say hi. and as always there is usually a cold beer or 2 around.

Lee

Lee

I'll stop by th see ya. Expect to scout all through Oct for my Nov hunt. I have a brown 87 f150

trufletch

Thats exactly where I am talking about. I would like to know as much about it as you can share. I want to spend a day or two up there in Nov. How far up can I drive. Is there a lot of hunter traffic. Can I hike in and out daily?

Question I have often wondered how much better an area will become over the course of a month when the primary lion is removed from an area. Batamore for instance. So if I tookt he lion in Oct would it really make any difference beyond 3 or 4 less deer eaten by the time I got back. Which is significant. What do you think.

gnoto- anytime you can take out the primary predator in the area out of the scene, you will help the hunting cause. Like all hunts, you have more people in an area the 1st coupla days, then it tapers off. The area has some pretty good access and jumping off points. If you come off I-19 westbound on Arivaca rd. About 5-6 miles in, after you drive thru Marley cattle company(about 1 mile past Marley), you will see an cattle guard and opening on the right, go thru there. this is in the area of Sheriff's Mesa. Stay on the main road. Several roads branch off to the right(these will actually take you into the Sierritas.), stay on the main rd and about 6 miles in you will see Batamote ranch on the left. You can drive through the gates. The road will turn westbound and about 1 mile up you can see Batamoteon your left real well. There is a dirt road that heads off to the south and cuts the west side of Batamote Hill. This eventually dead ends on the north-eastern side of the Cerro Colorados. If you want to hunt Batamote, i suggest you park near the silver/rusted ,tall thin water tank. By walking only a coupla hundred yards, you can glass the Western slope of Batamote. Don't let it fool you, there is alot of country there to glass. Real rocky, real steep. the deer seem to bed down on that slope. To get on top of Batamote, either come in from the ranch side or continue past that silver/rusted water tank.The hill tapers down and you can gain easier access to the top. Just a note, about a mile past that silver/rusted tank, there is a cattle pond that the deer will water at. This tank is maybe 1/2 mile from where the road deadends. I have humped into this side of the Cerro Colorados and also had great success. Get back in 1/2 mile and you probably won't see a soul. There are some water catchments in this area as well. Real good coues country(lions too.) Most of these roads that head east/west will take you around the north side of the Cerro Colorados and dump you out on the western side. Usually a ton of deer camps there. You can even get into some of the smaller sets of hills from there. You will probably see several camps just before Batamote Ranch and 1 or 2 after the ranch, but my experience is that these are mulie hunters, normally not a factor. Good luck, If you want more info and just to pick my brain, send me an email message @Trufletch @aol.com. Sorry to all if this message is to long. I don't mind sharing info if I have it.

Trufletch

Trufletch,

It sounds like you have been all over the same areas that I've been. Have you seen that hunters shrine at the end of the road passed that water hole? Also the north end of the Cerro Colorados have a lot of lion sign. I had the Oct hunt up there last year. All I saw was a small fork horn coues. I didn't take the shot. Next month I'll be out there for some quail hunting. Stop by my camp.

Lee