Sign in to follow this  
gnoto

36A Coues Hunt

I got a question for those that know 36a only recently (couple of years) have fallen in love with coues deer, last year spent alot of time in 36a and shot a decent buck, this year my 16 year old brother has a youth hunt and i was wondering if most of the youth hunt for mulies or coues, my first impression is that the mulies are in more suitable terrain for young ones, but i don't know. I have chased a few mulie bucks in 36a (have a few good spots) but for the most part can't stay away from coues country,( i would prefer to get my brother hooked on coues, so much more fun), also anyone know who allows road access to the upper portions of the sierrita mtns. Most of the time i don't see very many vehicles on the roads, other times i see a few. I don't really care, except i have a good buck scouted out relatively close to a road, and didn't know how or when others could drive into that area. I always hike in and haven't ever asked about vehicle access. Any info on the subjects would be appreciated. Thanks

if you guys see any lions this year in 36a call me. i have hounds and mules and we can try andd get him! i live close in tubac. same applies for 36b 36c and 34a and 35b. here is my number 398-8112 wk and 248-1350 cell 398-3351. email targyros@dakotacom.net

thx!

tom

WHT_MTMAN

My son killed his first Coues Buck when he was 11 years old.We were on top of a huge mountain in unit 32. Believe Me!!!!! A kid 16 can go anywhere that you can go! The biggest thing that I have found about hunting with kids is that they need to feel involved with the hunt. If you can set him up with a light backpack and some glasses and a tripod of his own it really makes a differance. My son always used 8 x30`s while I packed the big glasses. I always asked him to glass the area within about 400 yards and closer while I glass way the heck out there. Sometimes he would fall asleep after glassing a while and I thought that was just fine. What I really noticed though is that he became an extremely patient and really good spotter. One year I spotted 4 decent bucks on a hillside some 1000 yards out or so and about the time I was going to point them out He said ''Hey I got 2 Bucks" They were both really nice, over 100''. I asked him where and they were on the same hill as I was glassing but above the other bucks. So much for glassing close. It was a heck of a spot though and all with 8x30`s. The main thing is to go at their pace and have fun. Take lots of snacks, trailmix, jerkey etc. I think you will find it can work out just fine. You will probably have another devout CWT forum member after your hunt. Good Luck on your hunt Coues Addict

P.S. That first Coues my son took was over ten years ago and he still loves hunting these little guys as much as his old man!

if you call me up and i can get there in time with my dogs we can call it even. my dogs are young and they need the work. it's hard to find a hot track in the dirt unless it's a fresh kill

Tom, Would you be willing to bring your hounds up to unit 33,because I always see alot of lion tracks and lion kill in the area I hunt.

Tom I'll give you a call. I am sure I can rustle at least one or two up during that week.

Tru

Thanks for the info. I will send you an email. I want to learn all I can about the Batamore area

GN

peckl1- Like you, i have worn out some leather and left more than a little blood,sweat and tears in thise hills. Not sure which shrine your talking about. There are actually 2 ponds before the end of the road, the 1st one has water constantly and the other is about 1/4 mile or less from the end. In between those ponds is an area we camp in alot. the guy that taught me to hunt and was my hunting partner for 20+ years passed away a few years ago- we spread his ashes in that area and when we are back, we pay homage to the crusty old boy. He started hunting those hills in the 1950's and knew lots of great areas. Sure do miss him. Don't mind passing on some of that knowledge.

Trufletch

Just past the last pond at the end of the road. If you look up to the left the shrine is a little concrete dome with some arrows and shell casing, and several candles. It is close to the end of the road. I have not been back there very much lately. Most of my time has been spent down by west coast tank. I'll be out that way next month to do some quail hunting.

peckl1- I know the shrine your talking about. I figure its some coues mojo working. For future reference on the quail, we see scalies up on top of Batamote, on the northern part and mearns in the hills just to the west of that coues mojo shrine, especially that hill to the west with the top that has the thickest bunch of ocotillo you have ever seen- seen cats and coues on there as well. Rough walking with the shin diggers that are growing there tho. ... good luck

trufletch

Fletch

I 'll see if I can get my wife to make another pair of Chaps/Gators for ya. After too many run ins with the evil tree razors I found some thick boat canvas and my wife found a pattern for Gators. I used them last year for the first time and they are great a little hot but nothing made it through them and my pants.

Fletch

I had no idea that dirt road south of Batamore wnet all the way through. I never had the the chance to find out. I think you told me mor ethen I would have learned in some time. thanks for the help

sorry one more question north of south of Sheriffs Mesa North is the Bob Brown tank I'm assuming thats the way