ElkDeer

Rifle for 10 Year Old

There is a Browning BLR in .243 in the classifieds right now that would be a great youth gun. I own one (mine isn't for sale) and with handloads it is surprisingly accurate for a lever action, and it's lightweight and nimble (20" barrel).

Please consider the Remington Model 7 compact. Nice light weight gun, and has the 700 action. Comes in many of the favorite Coues calibers

• Like 1

If I were to buy new I would be looking at 3 options.

1. is a rifle I really liked years ago when. I worked retail gun sales. We had a remington 700 mountain rifle in 7-08 that was sweet. It had been tuned by there custom shop.

2. is probably what i would buy. A CZ 557 or 550 in the caliber of your choice. The cz 527 I picked up recently is AWESOME. the set trigger is sweet as long as your kid has good trigger control. Iron sights at 100 yards on a carbine it will shoot 2 moa. Give me a scope and I bet it would be submoa.

3. tikka in your caliber choice.

My choice would be 6.5x55, but I like less common rounds and old school things. The 6.5x55 has been doing everything 6.5cm and 260 Rem have, but it has been doing it for 120 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

My dad's kimber sporterized mauser in 6.5x55 will be my son's first deer rifle. Sweet gun that shoots well and is light.

Harley

Everyone has an opinion. I bought my 10 year old daughter the ruger american compact 7mm.08. She shot it all last year practicing at the age of 9 and shot her first deer with it this fall. Enough punch for just about anything in AZ and manageable recoil for her. She loves it

• Like 1

Please consider the Remington Model 7 compact. Nice light weight gun, and has the 700 action. Comes in many of the favorite Coues calibers

Perfect size rifle, I had one in 243 and sold it to cramerhunts, his daughter knocked down a giant desert muley bout 300 yards, she was 10 years old at the time and small framed. Can't beat the 700 action, more options to improve the rifle there