Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

Need Advice

Ok so I'll admit it. I don't call myself or consider myself a coyote hunter. Usually I shoot them while glassing up deer. Anyway my question is that I'm in Kansas right now and on one of my farms it's open grassland with cuts that run through it. It looks like coyote heaven. I can't get one to come in to my e-call. I'm completely camouflaged in and trying different sounds. What could I be doing wrong? Last week I saw a few coyotes on the top of ridges but are gone when I stop to take a better look. Any help will help me out. I want one to come in to a call for my wife to get a shot.

How's the wind? How's the Sun? How is your approach? How much are you moving on stand? How long are you staying? How hidden is the vehicle?

Wind has been at 0. I have been calling around the noon hour ( after deer hunts ) ya I know that's not good but tried. Still on stand. Range is way out of sight. We're in shade of bushes not moving. Tomorrow I plan on getting on stand before sun rises. I want advice what to do so we can call some in. Like I said we saw a couple different coyotes on ridges a week ago here.

Be patient, they will eventually show up. The time of day isn't critical and I imagine the temps are fairly cool. Call for 15 to 20 minutes.

Highs are in the upper 40's. I just thought we would have had one come in. We see them on ridges in this area in mornings when deer or pheasant hunting but when we set up a stand nothing shows. I'm asking for advice cause this is not my expertise. Anyway going out tomorrow at daylight hopefully that helps???

Use those cuts to stay hidden on the way into your stand. Try to set up so they have to cross shootable ground between where you expect them to come from to down wind of your position. No talking! Don't call to loud start low and work up. Don't call to often I only let the call run for 20 to 30 sec every few minutes.

How big is your farm and how close are other people who may be shooting them? I've noticed I can drive a few miles from my place and call them like crazy but if I call them from the house they stay weary of my calls but they'll come in at night and try to kill my critters. I quit calling them from the house because they were outsmarting me and coming in hours later and feasting. Since I stopped calling I don't have coyote problems. Maybe your closest neighbors (even if 1/2 mile or more away) like mine are, are calling them too and the coyotes are getting smart.

Best tip I can throw out there is keep your back to the wind. If a coyote comes in and doesn't see you, he will circle downwind of the call every time. If your face is to the wind, they may be smelling you before you can see them.

• Like 1