Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

No More Peaks...

They should just give every deer and buffalo hunter north of the River an elk tag.

They tried that I think but problem was those guys were hunting deer and buffalo on a once in a lifetime hunt. Nobody wants to pop a cow elk during something like that.

• Like 1

They should just give every deer and buffalo hunter north of the River an elk tag.

They tried that I think but problem was those guys were hunting deer and buffalo on a once in a lifetime hunt. Nobody wants to pop a cow elk during something like that.

Several of you are right. I was up there during the turkey season. Talked to some buffalo hunters and a "buffalo biologist in training" that worked for the game and fish. They had a bull, cow and calf elk on camera at one of "buffalo tanks" and nobody would even consider shooting them because they didn't want to chance spooking the buffalo. The buffalo hunter had seen 2 big elk bulls earlier and said IF they tagged out on the buffalo, they thought about getting an OTC tag and trying to find the elk. The Game and Fish guy said another AZGFD guy had just seen a couple cows and calves in the "center of the unit"(12AW). We talked about how a lot of that country looks like elk country. The AZGFD guy said the elk come down from Utah and they want them all dead because "it is the premier deer unit in the state" and they don't want elk competing with the deer.

I also noticed that they moved a couple antelope hunts into october.. I'm excited for the regs to come out so I can put in for some tags!

That whole thought process was around the idea that hunting disrupts the antelope rut, correct? Maybe more pregnant does equals more fawns. I wonder if they have seen success with the expirements they did in other units recently.
That does make sense.