Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

No More Peaks...

Anybody else see this in the recommendations for next year? Has anyone asked about it yet at an open house?

I assume they decided enough elk had been taken off the mountain to let the aspens recover. Either that or USFW decided to use wolves or saber tooth tiger or some other introduced predator.

Not all. Most of the limited opportunity hunts are still there.

Edit. Permit numbers are down. You're right. But there seems to be a few petmits still.

It's getting tougher and tougher to get tags.

Anyone also notice the late rifle is a week after Thanksgiving? Interesting.

The recommendations for next year show only bull tags for the Peaks. In the past there were cow tags and any elk tags.

I am not sure why they would put bull only tags up there if they are trying to reduce the herd eating the aspens, which was the purpose for creating the hunt.

BUT, if you want an elk tag on the Kaibab there are plenty of those.

Those kaibab/strip elk tags are surprising, 750 draw tags? I know there are periodic sightings and a some kills on the kaibab during the open season this last year, but who is going to put in for these in the draw? Did they find a hidden herd with 800 animals that we didn't know about? Seems like some unsuspecting people will put in for this and be wasting their money would be my worry.

• Like 1

Those kaibab/strip elk tags are surprising, 750 draw tags? I know there are periodic sightings and a some kills on the kaibab during the open season this last year, but who is going to put in for these in the draw? Did they find a hidden herd with 800 animals that we didn't know about? Seems like some unsuspecting people will put in for this and be wasting their money would be my worry.

thats exactly what they want. AZGFD must have no shame.

Anyone also notice the late rifle is a week after Thanksgiving? Interesting.

All the hunts in the state start based on the order of the Friday that the hunt opens on. For instance the early archery hunt starts on the 37th Friday of the year. Late rifle bull starts on the 45th Friday I believe. Meaning that because this year New Years Day was a Friday, all the hunts were the earliest they could possibly be. Next year, New Years is on Sunday, therefore everything is 6 days later.

• Like 5

Doesnt look like there is a early rifle bull hunt in any unit before the archery hunt starts unless I missed it.

22 South Muzzleloader

I am more irritated that they added tags to early bull in unit 8. Reducing tags in a limited opp hunt can only make it better for those drawn...early rifle bull in 7E sounds like a crybabies dream as well.looks like the bull hunts are in the General section but the cow tags are still in the limited opp section. 4 hunts instead of 5. 40 bull and 40 cow tags per hunt. You HAVE to be in shape or the mountain will get you.

I thought there would be 500 draw tags in 42 metro unit. They call it oppurtunity.............BOB!