I would also consider the fabric relative to the climate conditions. Breathable? Wind resistant? Stretches? Dries quickly? Fabric weight for time of year? Quietness? Burr resistant? Not collect odors?

Camo may not be necessary for a rifle hunt. An article with a solid color tone to match the terrain and in a good fabric can serve double duty in the field and on the street.

That said, I like Cabelas MicroTex in Outfitter camo. It may be too warm for the October hunt though.

Predator is my favorite...but a rifle hunt it really doesn't matter I wore an American Eagle green hoodie on my last successful rifle hunt for coues. I also have the cabelas outfitter you disappear in that stuff, but yes it is hot.

IMHO digital is used by military because it breaks up better under satellite surveillance.

I like open patterns such as predator. I hate paying 60 bucks for a shirt, but it does work well.

I like the NATURAL gear camo. I wouldn't get too caught up in what brand or type of camo. As long as you like it that is all that matters. On the other hand if you go and buy a highly detailed tight patterned type camo you will tend to look like a large dark blob from a distance. Look for an open pattern that will help break up your outline in your surroundings. Personally I feel the hi-tech camo patterns are more for the hunters comfort than anything. If you like the way your clothes look you tend to feel better wearing them.

I really like predator and Nat gear. they are basic enuff for any climate and blend well in all areas ive tried

I like the NATURAL gear camo. I wouldn't get too caught up in what brand or type of camo. As long as you like it that is all that matters. On the other hand if you go and buy a highly detailed tight patterned type camo you will tend to look like a large dark blob from a distance. Look for an open pattern that will help break up your outline in your surroundings. Personally I feel the hi-tech camo patterns are more for the hunters comfort than anything. If you like the way your clothes look you tend to feel better wearing them.

Well said!

I am a huge fan of predator camo but also have some kings desert shadow and natural gear. All of them are good and break up my silohoute(sp?) well.

I also am looking at getting some new gear, I predominantly hunt whitetail in the mixed juniper elevation and javelina in the desert grasslands. I thought the Realtree AP HD pattern suited this terrain. Any opinions? Might use it if I ever get drawn for elk and possibly turkey in the spring as well.

<br/>

post-1933-1191376089.jpg

It's more about useing shadows and cover to your advantage and moving well, than about camo. For years I had an old wrinkled olive drab shirt that was my favorite. This is my first year hunting Coues deer and I got within 5 feet of one dressed in blue jeans and a brouwn T-shirt. I am tanned up pretty good though. I also managed to stalk within 35 yards of two bucks, a spike and a 3 point. All that aside, I really like Natural Gear and Mossy Oak Brush. I think they look good on me!

Mark

I went to digital camo this year and have been happy with the results. One of the biggest factors for me was that I could not find any other manufacturer out there that made a long enough inseam. I usually wear a 38" inseam and you can get the ACU's in a 38 1/2" inseam. I think that for coues hunting this camo would be great, especially as we get into the fall months. The camo colors are predominantly a light tan and light greens. I used this camo for my elk hunt up in the thick mixed connifer and for that area it was a little light. If you are going to hunt more open ponderosa down through desert I think it will do the trick. Good luck on choosing and I hope you are happy with what you get.

Packer

It's more about useing shadows and cover to your advantage and moving well, than about camo. For years I had an old wrinkled olive drab shirt that was my favorite. This is my first year hunting Coues deer and I got within 5 feet of one dressed in blue jeans and a brouwn T-shirt. I am tanned up pretty good though. I also managed to stalk within 35 yards of two bucks, a spike and a 3 point. All that aside, I really like Natural Gear and Mossy Oak Brush. I think they look good on me!

Mark

Best advice yet. grandpa hunted in brown pants the trick is to not move when your prey is watching.

I do feel that camo is over rated and it it is WAY more important, no matter what your wearing, to always break up your outline by staying close to objects in your terrain and never skyline yourself. When I cross over a ridge I walk up to a bush or tree and then cross over, if I'm following a ridge I try to stay off to one side and not on the very top. The cool part about the new camo that is out there is the new materials being used. I only use Kings Shadow camo and love the different fabrics they use.....they've got stuff for when it's hot, and stuff for when it's cold! Kings is very well constructed and very durable also. I know a bunch of guys who like the Desert Shadow, but I mainly use the new Mountain Shadow for all my hunts.......it's awesome in every type of vegetation. Unless you are sitting in a ground blind or a treestand, always avoid dark, intricate patterned camo. You will look like a dark blob at a distance. It's almost always better to stick with a lighter colored camo that has highlights and/or a larger open pattern to it. Predator camo is very nice for these reasons and so is Natural Grear.....but Kings is better :P Jimbo's $.02 ;)