Sign in to follow this  
Speedy

Decoys for Coues?

I've been having a lot of fun with deer decoys for Midwestern whitetails, check out these short video clips:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4j_HnUPsHvZRldUNHI5TTBUcTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4j_HnUPsHvZbkxrRGZnUUo1U1k

To me the biggest advantage with decoys is they completely occupy their attention, I could do jumping jacks in my stand and they wouldn't care. Since I hunt with a recurve bow I plan to do a lot of sitting so anything that bring deer closer and keeps them there for a shot would be helpful. I was thinking of a Montana decoy but it might look too big to a Coues? I'll be hunting in mid January.

I wonder if a doe decoy would work with some doe in estrus stray. I haven't had the opportunity to hunt during the rut but it seems like it possibly could pull something in.

My buddy has a mule deer doe decoy and tried it on Friday. He was stalking on some whitetail and they hated it lol. They jumped like they saw a coyote or lion and got the heck out of there. I'm not sure how well a eastern whitetail would work? I think the decoys are to big for coues personally. Just my two cents... here is the buck he was trying to get on.post-12609-0-54867600-1482283053_thumb.jpg

I wonder if a doe decoy would work with some doe in estrus stray. I haven't had the opportunity to hunt during the rut but it seems like it possibly could pull something in.

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

I tried the blow up model 'ms november' a couple years ago and it cost me 3 suot opportunities in 2 days. Every deer that sa it ran away.

I had mine set up in the standing position. I think it was just too unnatural for them to see a deer standing there perfectly still. I've been meaning to try it again but in a bedded down position. I think that may turn on the curiosity and be less unnatural looking.

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

So where do the Does "go"

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Only if natural urine, syn scents are legal... scent companies will state their ingredients on their websites...

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

they have to got to sonora if they want to piss.

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Only if natural urine, syn scents are legal... scent companies will state their ingredients on their websites...

what if you pick up dirt with pee on it and rub it on yourself, still illegal?

• Like 1

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Probably depends on whose pee....

• Like 1

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Doe pee is illegal in AZ

Not illegal....but nasty

Thanks for the heads on doe P, I had no idea. I applaud AZ for taking proactive stance on CWD.

Comments on the Montana decoy are they are too small for normal whitetails, so might be just right for Coues. The only issue I can see is they are a bit too red in color which shouldn't matter. I'll bring it out with me and see how I feel about using it. I'll give it one chance and if it doesn't work it's staying at camp!