Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

PF Changs Oolong Marinated Seabass, With Catfish!

This is my wives favorite thing at Changs when we go there. Im not gonna lie, it was awesome! I highly recomend it especially for the bigger fish that might not be as good otherwise. The brine is similar to a few out there so I decided to do half Changs way and then take the other half in put them in the smoker most in the smoker were plain but one had lemon pepper seasoning. Heres the recipe I copied off Recipe Link...

MARINADE/SAUCE:

2 cups water

2/3 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic

1/2 teaspoon oolong tea

OPTIONAL GARNISH:

6 handfuls fresh spinach

1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic

1 (5.5-ounce) can whole baby sweet corn, drained

Make your sauce and marinade by combining the six ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Cool uncovered, then strain out the ginger and garlic.

Put your sea bass fillets in a storage bag or a covered container with 2 cups of the marinade. Let the fish have a nice soak in the marinade for 5 to 6 hours in the fridge. If the sauce doesn't completely cover the fish, be sure to turn the fillets a couple hours in so that all sides get marinated.

When you are ready to prepare the fish, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Arrange the fillets on a foil-covered cooking sheet. Bake the fish for 22 minutes or until the edges of the fillets are starting to turn brown. Crank the oven up to a high broil and broil fish for 2 to 4 minutes or until you get some dark patches around the edge of the fillets. Just don't let them burn.

As your fish is baking, heat up a wok or large skillet with one tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the spinach, garlic, and baby sweet corn, and a dash of salt and pepper to the pan. Sauté the veggies just until the spinach is wilted, then arrange half of the spinach and corn on each of two plates.

When the sea bass is done broiling, use a spatula to carefully lay each fillet on the bed of spinach and baby corn. Split the remaining sauce and pour it over each of the fillets before serving.

Heres what I did different... After tasting the brine it didnt seem quite right so I added another two packs of the tea added another 2/3 cup of soy sauce and added the ginger and garlic again. Then it tasted spot on to me but wife said it was a hair to salty but I didnt think so. She did thinki the finished product was spot on though. Oh and I put the filets in milk as soon as we got home, put in the brine the next morning for 6 hours. Enjoy!!

Firstpost-14299-0-92138500-1482890063_thumb.jpgpost-14299-0-55159800-1482890093_thumb.jpgpost-14299-0-57244500-1482890130_thumb.jpgpost-14299-0-77674500-1482890151_thumb.jpgpost-14299-0-22233600-1482890176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is my wives favorite thing at Changs when we go there. Im not gonna lie, it was awesome! I highly recomend it especially for the bigger fish that might not be as good otherwise. The brine is similar to a few out there so I decided to do half Changs way and then take the other half in put them in the smoker most in the smoker were plain but one had lemon pepper seasoning. Heres the recipe I copied off Recipe Link...

Kev,

I recall seeing another thread (can't find it now) about someone who had worked as a cook in a Chinese Food establishment in the past, was that you?

Nope, but we have some friends that own one up on north oracle. Grain river asian bistro. Very good food and super nice people.

Funny story, my wife would babysit their daughter. One day she and my daughter are stomping on fire ants. My wife freaks out and says what if they are buddhists? I was like "Geeze Brandy, just because they're Chinese it doesn't mean they're Buddhist." So her mom shows up to pick her up and sees what they are doing and starts yelling at the kid in Chinese. Turns out they were Buddhist...

• Like 3

Nope, but we have some friends that own one up on north oracle. Grain river asian bistro. Very good food and super nice people.

Funny story, my wife would babysit their daughter. One day she and my daughter are stomping on fire ants. My wife freaks out and says what if they are buddhists? I was like "Geeze Brandy, just because they're Chinese it doesn't mean they're Buddhist." So her mom shows up to pick her up and sees what they are doing and starts yelling at the kid in Chinese. Turns out they were Buddhist...

I'm crying over here😂

Alright, sorry for the mixup. I can't remember on which forum someone said that, dang. Recipe sounds good BTW!

I'm crying over here😂
hahaha!!! I don't know what else to say! It's like a joke on the xm comedy channel!

Well, I guess thats a lesson why you should always stereotype people, so as not to offend someone.

• Like 1