hunter44

what's my chances going into 2017

I used to put in for trophy units and wait years to get drawn. Then I realized there are good bulls in most units and I much prefer to hunt instead of sit on the sidelines!

the least desirable archery hunts still take 8 points to get in the bonus. personally id rather wait a year or 2 and get 1 over 4a. but thats just me

So here is the predicament I am in, I have enough points to draw almost any hunt other than the "premier" units. If I were to wait it out then it's at least for more years. So basically I can have one "average" archery tag and one "average" late rifle tag in the same period as I could have a "premier" archery tag. That's the conundrum.

I don't know where hunter's trailhead gets their stats, but on stats put out by g and f, unit 1 early archery with 11 points drew around 26%. it took 16 points and above to be at 100% That's for 2016.

So here is the predicament I am in, I have enough points to draw almost any hunt other than the "premier" units. If I were to wait it out then it's at least for more years. So basically I can have one "average" archery tag and one "average" late rifle tag in the same period as I could have a "premier" archery tag. That's the conundrum.

I am almost in your situation with my BP.

I have hunted the premier units and non premier units- just don't let expectations get the best of you...

what I mean is a fantastic hunt can be had in a non premier unit, but I think one needs to "lower expectations"..... when the hunt starts to get hard in a non premier unit don't get down- ignore the texts and pictures of bulls being taken in other units - "they are really bulging in unit X" I have seen guys get so discouraged when the texts start coming from other units.... then ultimately the comment " i shouldn't of put in for this hunt".....

I'm personally going with the non premier unit...with 1st and premier with 2nd

I don't know where hunter's trailhead gets their stats, but on stats put out by g and f, unit 1 early archery with 11 points drew around 26%. it took 16 points and above to be at 100% That's for 2016.

do the AZ stats separate residents from non-residents?

Yes, AZ does separate NR odds now. I bet my left cajone that unit 1 archery jumps to 12 points next year. So yes, OP would have been 100% last year but may not be this year. Have you looked at the neighboring units? Because 11 pts should assure you a tag in 27 or 3B.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put better hunt first?

yes... I have had 2 archery bulls tags, both where 2nd choice... superstitious or stuperstitious?

• Like 2

What about

unit 9 late rifle bull elk with 4 BP ?

Unit 9 October rifle cow elk with 4 BP ?

I haven't done tables to know exactly but on the cow hunt you are something around 1 in 3 and on the bull hunt 1 in 6.

Redman is a U of A guy, common sense need not apply. :)

• Like 2

Redman is a U of A guy, common sense need not apply. :)

SCOREBOARD!!! :D The Cats just scored another 60 yard TD run!

HAHA bragging rights all year!

• Like 1

I used to put in for trophy units and wait years to get drawn. Then I realized there are good bulls in most units and I much prefer to hunt instead of sit on the sidelines!

the least desirable archery hunts still take 8 points to get in the bonus. personally id rather wait a year or 2 and get 1 over 4a. but thats just me

That's not true.

OK I need somebody to clarify for me. I don't subscribe to hunters trailhead but get the impression that the odds stated there are way better than the g and f bonus point and draw charts show. How can there be such a big difference? Anybody have any ideas, and who do we go by.

That's not true.

what did you have in mind, unit 2 limited opportunity? 5b south is 8. 4a and 4b and theyre both 8, unit 21 also 8

OK I need somebody to clarify for me. I don't subscribe to hunters trailhead but get the impression that the odds stated there are way better than the g and f bonus point and draw charts show. How can there be such a big difference? Anybody have any ideas, and who do we go by.

Do you have a link to the g&f charts you are talking about? If you are talking about the one they put in the regulations its almost useless