Sign in to follow this  
stanley

New Mexico Junior Elk Success

My son was drawn for a New Mexico Junior elk tag this year. It was an ES (any elk) tag, and the hunt took place last weekend. Amanda (Star of CW.com!!! :lol: ) was nice enough to volunteer to join to help-out and maybe film the hunt (that ended-up not happening...). Myself, Erik, Amanda, and a buddy of mine (Terry) from work drove over on Friday.

On opening day, with a few bugles and a little luck Erik was able to kill this elk. The whole story is very long, and I might try to post it soon, but the short version is that we had a LONG day of hunting! Three hours of blood trailing (first shot wasn't perfect....), three hours of getting the elk to camp, 6+ hours of skinning, de-boning, and cutting! Three VERY tired adults and one VERY proud hunter!!!

I want to thank Kevin Gardner and Scott Adams for the helpful information that was a part of this success. Kevin particular went way above & beyond to help Erik out, and we've never even met him! Just a nice guy from this site who wanted to help a kid get his first elk.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. This is a beyond expectations "first elk" for my son. I couldn't be more proud, but if it were a dead cow instead of a bull I wouldn't be any less proud! Anyone who has hunted with their child knows the true meaning of a trophy. ;)

Here is Amanda, Erik, and myself with his bull.....

AmandaStanErikElk.jpg

Just Erik and dad......

daderikandbull.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the pics.

S.

:)

Congrats to all involved with the hunt. Its great to see and hear how everybody pitches in to help another hunter out...especially a young one!

Phil

Congrats.....and thanks to all those who stepped forward to help! We sure a great bunch of people us coues hunters!! I'm surprised you found that bad boy in that thick stuff:)

Outstanding! Congrats!

I had a great time camping and hunting with Stan, Erik, and Terry. We seemed to be charmed on that hunt from the moment we got there (finding a wonderful campsite exactly where we wanted to be), to the hunt (having a nice trail down into the canyon and the bugling bulls), to the kill (being able to track and get more shots at that bull despite it being extremely thick forest), to getting the elk out and back to camp (got some amazingly generous help from some guys and young boys with quads), to the rain holding off until we were done cutting up the elk. It really was a great trip. Mild weather, nice campfire, and all with moonlight backlighting some amazing looking storm clouds with lightning all around us. The aspens were mostly turned gold and the whole forest had that great fall smell that I really enjoy. Thanks for letting me tag along Stan! I am glad I could help out!

Amanda

Erik, Stanley and Amanda................a great big CONGRATULATIONS.........what a great feeling for Erik and both of you to share in his success...........you guys worked hard and what a fantastic bull........congrats again............Allen Taylor..............