Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Rookie short range shooting mistake

Rookie long range shooting mistake by Big Browns made me think of one of my own at short range. How do you screw up a 100 yard shot with a rifle on a stationary deer? I have seen myself do it, let me explain.

It was the last day of a long weekend and I hadn’t had much luck. Never mind a trophy, meat in the freezer would be nice right now. I had decided to spend the day in a nice little saddle that overlooked some promising terrain. I was only a few hundred yards away from my ATV climbing toward the saddle when I noticed some deer making the same climb on the next ridge over. There was a spike in the group. I already had venison steak on the grill before I slid my .300 Ultra out of the Eberlestock pack. My shooting position was not real good but the deer had spotted me so moving was not an option. I could not see the deer from a kneeling position so I stood on the loose hillside in a heavy wind trying to stabilize the rifle. It was awfully wiggly, worst case of spike fever I ever had. I finally thought I had it and squeezed the trigger. BOOM. I recovered from the recoil and saw the spike standing there, shaking his head and flopping his ears. Before I could cycle the bolt he was gone. The flames on the grill flickered and went out. It looked like a clean miss but I still went and checked for blood. None. I went back to my shooting position to try and figure out why I had so much trouble with the shot. Yes the hillside was loose and it was very windy. When I slid the rifle out of the pack again the problem was obvious. The scope was set to 22 X. I normally turn it down to minimum power when I am moving just for situations like this. I had forgot to turn it down this time and then did not notice when I looked through the scope for the shot.

Just like Big Browns I will share my screw-up so hopefully you can avoid trying it for yourself.

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up too bad.

I missed a 50ish yard shot at a coyote this fall. My son-in-law was the last one to get behind the rifle on a long range elk. He had dialed 8.3 MIL for an elk, but the opportunity never materialized. And he did not rezero the turret.

Needless to say, I shot right over the coyote's back with my 200 yard zero plus 8.3 MIL, holding for a 1230 yard shot. Making it about 4" high. Right over his back but gave him a buzz cut. I am surprized he didn't have a heart attack and die.

Don't beat yourself up too bad.

I missed a 50ish yard shot at a coyote this fall. My son-in-law was the last one to get behind the rifle on a long range elk. He had dialed 8.3 MIL for an elk, but the opportunity never materialized. And he did not rezero the turret.

Needless to say, I shot right over the coyote's back with my 200 yard zero plus 8.3 MIL, holding for a 1230 yard shot. Making it about 4" high. Right over his back but gave him a buzz cut. I am surprized he didn't have a heart attack and die.

I can see the family dinner table argument already. Is it the son-in-law's fault for not re-zeroing the rifle or your fault for not checking the zero before taking your shot? Excuse me, could you please pass the gravy....

Fortunately, it was a clean miss. It was a 2 weekend hunt so I got a second chance. I took my 7mm-08 AI out following game trails one day and found another spike. Sat down, tightened up the sling and dropped him at 330. He was delicious.

• Like 2

I've missed many times more shots inside 40 yards than I ever have beyond 300,( mostly at coyotes). It seems like every year I glass up someone walking a hill and they end up missing a buck inside rock throwing distance.

Guest akaspecials

My short range mistake this year was keeping my rifle scope on low power... I ended up shooting a coues at 40 yards with a 300 weatherby mag. Luckily I lost less than 2 lbs of meat, but the insides basically exploded. Maybe you saved yourself from destroying a bunch of meat.

I shot a 3x at 378 with the .300 not a drop of blood was found. I could smell the venison when ingot to where the deer was standing. I knew i had connected from the report. Incould see where the bullet hit the mountain side and a small tuft of hair. No blood just tracks.Found the deer 40yds above where i had hit him. I was dumbfounded from the lack of blood.