Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Downloading waypoints garmin rino

It seems like this has been brought up before but I am struggling to find it. If it has and someone can find the link could you possibly post it. Mainly need to know if there is a software program I need to download my waypoints.

Here's my dilemma!

On 12/31 I lost my garmin rino 530hcx on my rifle hunt. I went back on 1/7 and Was able to find it but the screen is full of water. I have it in a bag of rice now to hopefully salvage my waypoints at least. I have never backed up my waypoints and I really don't want to lose over 8 years of marks.

I ordered the cord to hook it to the computer which should be here today and I was trying to figure out if there's still a software program I need to get to save everything to my computer.

Also curious if anyone thinks the waypoints could be salvaged if it does not turn back on. I haven't tried to turn it on since I found it just incase I only get one shot when the cord arrives.

How long does your download take when you back it up. I'm guessing If it does turn on it might not stay on for long.

One more thing if anyone knows- Can waypoints from a 530hcx be uploaded to the new touch screen models if I get them saved to the computer first?

All good questions, which I could help. One thing I did was buy two, I believe, 530 models used from a guy at work. I gave one to my brother in law. The other I transferred about 500 waypoints to using the radios and sending it to the new unit, one by one from my 110 which I still use (i just like it more) that's about 15 years old. From there, I transferred the waypoints to the computer using the software that came with the 530. I try to do this about every two years, it's cool to see the places you've been. It's also nice to have a back up gps/radio.

All good questions, which I could help. One thing I did was buy two, I believe, 530 models used from a guy at work. I gave one to my brother in law. The other I transferred about 500 waypoints to using the radios and sending it to the new unit, one by one from my 110 which I still use (i just like it more) that's about 15 years old. From there, I transferred the waypoints to the computer using the software that came with the 530. I try to do this about every two years, it's cool to see the places you've been. It's also nice to have a back up gps/radio.

Good to know the waypoints can be transferred to different models.

Once you have the basecamp software loaded you can upload/download way points and routes from any Garmin unit. The software will allow you to download your way points from your existing unit and upload to a new one, if that be the case. I have 3 different Rino's and can transfer way points to any one of units using the software. Hope this helps and good luck with getting yours up and working again.

Once you have the basecamp software loaded you can upload/download way points and routes from any Garmin unit. The software will allow you to download your way points from your existing unit and upload to a new one, if that be the case. I have 3 different Rino's and can transfer way points to any one of units using the software. Hope this helps and good luck with getting yours up and working again.

I downloaded the base camp and it looks like it can be really handy to look at all my waypoints plotted onto one map. Just need the cord to come in now. Did you purchase any of the maps or would I be able to put the map chip from my gps into my computer and run it with base camp?

Your map on your chip will not work with the computer. You can only transfer tracks, routes and waypoints to the computer. Since I don't use Base Camp I am not sure what the map looks like. I use the Garmin Mapsource program for a viewer on the computer. You can download maps from gpsfiledepot.com that work with Mapsource, and I would imagine that it would work with Base Camp.

I don't know about base camp but when the wife bought me a Rino 120 I bought Topo 2008. So at least 8 years ago is when I got mine. Topo 2008 has base maps for all the lower 48 states. Since I don't have a chip compatible gps I just upload maps to the gps of where I want to be. I can transfer waypoints,tracks, routes, etc. from the computer to gps and gps to computer. Maybe base camp is an upgrade of Topo 2008.

Sparky ... Base camp is a free Garmin software (around for many years) and imo a must if you want to back up, store, or transfer data for your GPS. It will copy everything including your topo 2008 and show it in layers on PC allowing you more control in managing and customizing your handheld.

If the screen stays full of water you might try to find someone who knows their way around the inside of electronics. Check with them about disconnecting the screen so it doesn't power up full of water and cause problems for the whole unit. If you are running base camp on a computer and plug in the GPS you control the download from the computer. Some units do ask you to make 1 selection on the screen when the USB cable is attached. See if someone with the same unit can check that for you on theirs. If the screen stays wet and you can just plug into base camp and download without using the GPS screen unplugging it to prevent a short might be a safe way to try and recover the data.

Update- the cord came in today so I pulled my gps out of the rice and all the visible water in the screen from before was gone. I put in a fresh battery and it turned on and picked up signal. Plus, I was also able to upload all my waypoints. Pretty good day! One problem I had was it wouldn't let me update it but I'll have to keep playing with that.

Congradulations on recovering your data. I expect it was worth more to you than the GPS. I carry my GPS in a belt pouch and have a short teather attaching it to the pouch. If I forget to put it back in the pouch or it falls out because I forgot to zip the pouch It swings on the tether and hits my leg, getting my attention. This has saved me from loosing it a number of times.

Congradulations on recovering your data. I expect it was worth more to you than the GPS. I carry my GPS in a belt pouch and have a short teather attaching it to the pouch. If I forget to put it back in the pouch or it falls out because I forgot to zip the pouch It swings on the tether and hits my leg, getting my attention. This has saved me from loosing it a number of times.

Yes the waypoints was what I wanted the most but I'm glad I still don't have to go to the touch screen rino. I'll just have to glue some buttons on there.

I definitely need to tether up a few things that I'm good at losing but I am getting good at going back and finding things. i went back for a video camera last spring that got left during the late elk hunt once the roads opened up. Camera turned on after a month in rice and then crashed but the 20+ SD cards in the bag were still good.

I'll usually mark anywhere I sit, take a break and every kill site just incase I forget something.