Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Wall tent treatments

I am now in the market for a wall tent, I am looking for information and experience with the treatments of the canvas? I do not or cannot do the smell that some of these tents come with? Are there any tents or company's that offer non smelling treatments? Or no treatment and does that cause safety issues? Pretty sure I am going with Davis tent so I will call them but I'm at work and was just curious. Thanks.

The elk mount tents are synthetic canvas. He sent me a sample. It's seems very flammable where I put a lighter to it.

I have a canvas wilderness tent from the wall tent shop. No smell. When it was new I guess it smelled light new canvas but no treatment smell

The old-time campers and cowpunchers used Thompson's Water Seal - possibly diluted 50:50 or so, and then brushed or sprayed on. I have only used it on a limited basis for canvas, and don't have any way to offer a recommendation. It was the gold standard years ago, and as I recall it seemed to work well both as a water repellent and a canvas treatment.

forepaw