Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Browning LR rifle

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these rifles stock new and wondering what makes them "long range". Is it only the 26" barrel or is there anything else? Thx.

I am not real familiar with the Browning line. I expect while there are some design advantages to a rifle they designate LR there is also some marketing hype to the LR designation. Look at a basic model in the same caliber, I bet it has a 26 inch barrel also. The LR model probably has a heavier barrel, a different stock and maybe a few other minor improvements. I would compare the features and price of the LR to a base model and see if I felt the features of the LR justified the additional cost over a basic model. My personal experience is with the Remington 700. I buy a less expensive model then choose aftermarket stock, trigger etc. to build the rifle I want.

They are great rifle never heard anything bad. Only thing I didn't was their muzzle breaks. I don't like ports on the bottom, kicks up dirt from prone

• Like 1

They are great rifle never heard anything bad. Only thing I didn't was their muzzle breaks. I don't like ports on the bottom, kicks up dirt from prone

Ports on the bottom of a muzzle break???? That is a MAJOR design flaw.

Its a gimmick

are we talking about the Browning Hells Canyon Long Range? must be since i dont see anything else on their website that mentions long range. they come with a 26" heavy contour fluted barrel and glass bedded action. they seem pretty sweet to me.

really not that big of a deal in my opinion, certainly not major design flaw. the brake is removable on the browning hells canyon too

really not that big of a deal in my opinion, certainly not major design flaw. the brake is removable on the browning hells canyon too

I pulled the rifle up on browning's site. It does sound like a nice rifle. I admit I have a strong dislike for breaks with ports on the bottom. Maybe it is my fault for being to lazy to carry a bag of powdered flavoring to add to the dirt I am about to eat. Also, I do not like a big cloud of dust blown up right in front of the objective lens of my expensive scope. If you zero with the brake on and remove it you are no longer zeroed. The opposite is also true. If the rifle is intended for long range field work wouldn't you expect to fire it prone? There are so many well designed without ports that vent to the bottom why mess with one that does? If I were to buy that rifle I would have to replace the brake.

I pulled the rifle up on browning's site. It does sound like a nice rifle. I admit I have a strong dislike for breaks with ports on the bottom. Maybe it is my fault for being to lazy to carry a bag of powdered flavoring to add to the dirt I am about to eat. Also, I do not like a big cloud of dust blown up right in front of the objective lens of my expensive scope. If you zero with the brake on and remove it you are no longer zeroed. The opposite is also true. If the rifle is intended for long range field work wouldn't you expect to fire it prone? There are so many well designed without ports that vent to the bottom why mess with one that does? If I were to buy that rifle I would have to replace the brake.
I have a gun with a brake that has holes on the bottom, 300 weatherby. It never really bothered me that much. The muzzle blast sucks but you get that no matter what surface I'm shooting on. If it was that big of a deal for target practice, I would simply throw a blanket down. In the heat of the moment of the shot, I'm not gonna notice that. Optimally with holes on the side sure but say it's a major design flaw when there's a million rifles out there with similar brakes is kinda reaching

I'd get the 6.5 and shoot it without the brake on anyways

• Like 1

Its a gimmick

are we talking about the Browning Hells Canyon Long Range? must be since i dont see anything else on their website that mentions long range. they come with a 26" heavy contour fluted barrel and glass bedded action. they seem pretty sweet to me.

• Like 1

I was looking at the X Bolt Stalker LR 26". Thanks for all the replies.

I have a gun with a brake that has holes on the bottom, 300 weatherby. It never really bothered me that much. The muzzle blast sucks but you get that no matter what surface I'm shooting on. If it was that big of a deal for target practice, I would simply throw a blanket down. In the heat of the moment of the shot, I'm not gonna notice that. Optimally with holes on the side sure but say it's a major design flaw when there's a million rifles out there with similar brakes is kinda reaching

I'd get the 6.5 and shoot it without the brake on anyways

I have to admit I tried reaching a bit to far on that one. Should probably go to the doctor and see if I strained anything. I expect the radial ported brake design was first used on dangerous game rifles. Those guys tend to shoot off sticks, standing or kneeling. Ports on the bottom here would be absolutely no disadvantage and the way those things kick the brake would be a welcome relief to a sore shoulder. I admit my bashing the brake as a design flaw based on my dislike for its performance in the prone position was rather unfair to the brake.

I still found myself wondering why Browning would use one on a new rifle. I drive about 350 miles per day at work and have plenty of time to waste worrying about things like that. It saves them money and time on the production line. The side discharge brakes I think are so wonderful each have to be indexed when installed on the barrel. That would be a hand fit operation for each gun.