Sign in to follow this  

The companies know that alot of the rounds they develop will fail, or at least not be huge success stories. 6.5 creedmoor fills a nice gap that had little commercial success prior in the 6.5 caliber.

264 win mag should have been an amazing success, but it never caught on. It deserves alot of credit though because it still hasn't faded into oblivion because of how awesome a round it is.

6.5x55 is the same way. It does everything the 260 or 6.5 creed will do and has been doing it for over 120 years. It's downfall is that it doesn't fit a short action and that factory ammo is downloaded because of the old military rifles. That said my next rifle will be a 6.5x55 from CZ.

Harley

• Like 1

Most of the new stuff doesn't do anything any better than something before it. They just need something to market as the next big thing to help generate sales.

Agreed!!! I think it's great though. More choices, more rifles, more shooting, more fun. I remember when the creedmoor came out. For the first 3 years I wanted one bad. Everyone on shooting forums was saying it will disappear it's only a fab. Hornady did a great job in promoting it. I think they are in the belief it can happen again. It's funny the 6 mm Remington and Win 243 came out he same time or close to it. The Remington will beat it with velocity by 150-200 fps. But Winchester did a better job promoting it and Remington stop making it because of lack of sales.

This will be fun to see happen if someone can get their hands on it

Remington used a twist rate for 6mm rifles that was only suited for lighter varmint bullets. They did not envision it being used with heavier bullets as a deer & antelope rifle. That led to a lack of sales. The .243 rifles were released with a twist rate that made it a good dual purpose varmint & large game rifle. That is why they substantially outsold the more powerful 6mm.

• Like 3

The other part of the story is the M 70 Featherweight in .243 was a neat little rifle, compact, smooth, lightweight. The Rem. M 722 was a good rifle, nothing wrong with it at all, but the 26" barrel and plain-looking stock made it a little bulky and awkward. It was not quite as sharp looking and handy as the M70. And as you mention, the M 70 was made up with a 10 twist, which shot about everything well, and the 6mm used a 12 or 14 twist, and could not stabilize heavier bullets. Folks wanted to use their rifle for varmints in the off season, but also be able to shoot accurately with heavy bullets for deer.

Same problem occurred with vintage Savage 99s in .250 - 3000. The new ones are barreled with a 10 twist, and are good with a number of bullet weights. The older rifles are twisted 1:14, and shoot 87 gr. bullets well, but throw heavy, long bullets all over the place. I have had 100 gr. bullets keyhold at 25 yds. Still, the 87 gr.is pretty decent for most shooting with that round, and exceeds the 3000 fps spec. that was originally intended by Savage.

forepaw

Wasn't the 6mm originally released with an inch designation of .244 and renamed to 6mm when the rifle was re-released with the faster twist barrel?

yes, I have a Rem Mod 724 in .244rem in the safe, sales were discontinued for a while and the twist corrected then came out again as 6mm Rem.

The .264winmag got pushed aside when Rem came out with the 7mm, it could launch heavier bullets for bigger game, I believe 140 gr was largest for the 264 and 175 for the 7mm.

• Like 1