Sign in to follow this  
jeepers creepers

meat processing

Usually I cut, trim and wrap my own steaks, roasts and chili meat. I take the other cleaned and trimmed meat in to have burger, salami and polish sausage made.

RR

Have allways done my own untill I moved and did not have access to the equipment any more.

After paying to have a few Elk done (OUCH) I am back to doing my own.

I have nothing bad to say about the jobs that were done for me but I think you get a little more burger if you do it yourself since you will do a little better triming your own.

Mike

Valencia is a good one. He's got a nice meat locker and everything there in Globe....highly recommend him!

It's been so long since I've drawn a tag of any kind that I've almost forgotten, but I do remember that I prefered to butcher my own game because I like my meat absolutely clean without grit, hair or bloodshot areas. I took my last elk to a butcher in Springerville who did a good job, but I had to do some trimming on a few packages after defrosting them.

Bill Quimby

I always do my own. Had some bad experiences w/ butchers early on and have always done my own since. We usually do the butchering right in camp, take a vacuum packer and its ready for the freezer when we get home. Whoa, listening to the news while typing, a lady just died after being bit by a Mohave.

nobody cuts game right. deer, elk and pronghorn need to be thin for my liking. so we cut our own. i worked as butcher as a kid and know how. we have a really big grinder and a tenderizer. with these new plastic tubes for hamburger, it ain't much trouble. you can take big ol' tough round steaks of an ole buck or bull and run em throught the tenderiser and make a heck of a good steak out of em. Rusty's in springerville does a good job and takes a lot of care with it. i've taken em to southwest out in QC and they do real good too. but nobody takes the time to cot the steaks thin enough. anymore we do the vaccuum pack foodsaver deal instead of paper to wrap it too. stacks up nice and keeps real well. it doesn't take long to make up the price of the grinder either. ain't elk 60 cents a pound now? i know i wouldn't cut them dirty shot up things for less. Lark.

Millers Southwestern Processing in Queen Creek does do an excellent job and Mike Miller (owner) is a very strong supporter of the youth hunting camps the Arizona Deer Association holds. Mike generally donates all the burgers and dogs for those events, year after year. If you need processing done, take it to someone who supports hunting like Mike does.

Amanda

Do it yourself.Lark is right it does not take long to pay for the hamburger grinder.You can get a 1/2 horse grinder for about $250 to $300 with all of the attachments for sausage and etc.You can spend more for the higher horse power,but The 1/2 works fine for me on elk.

Noel

I used to do all my own stuff. The burger, the sausage, steaks and roasts. And am dang good at it if I do say so myself. The most important thing I learned from all thoes years and countless hours was that a good processor is sooooo worth it!!!!! No doubt!!!!! Drop it off and be done with it! Get professional cuts, wraps, burger and sausage with no worries and messy fuss. How long does it take you to process something? What is your time worth?

Like I said. "A GOOD processor is sooooo worth it"!!!!!! I use Caseys in Flagstaff and have never had a problem nor have any of our clients ever had a problem with them.

Drop it off and be done with it!

Lance

I like to do my own, but am often pressed for time.

I have had excellent luck with Casey's in Flagstaff doing my elk the last few years. Extremeley Clean, No trimming reqd 90% of the time. The burger is very high quality.

DO NOT use Rhonda's/Pioneer in Flagstaff. Extremely poor job.

Southwestern did a good job for me few years back.

I always do it myself. I feel like it completes the circle for me. Nothing at all against those that use a processor. After doing it a few times, makes you think twice about taking a little one :D