Sign in to follow this  
bullwidgeon

My Arizona bull 2004

I killed this bull Friday morning in a unit that according to the Game and Fish "Has very little elk in it". He had beat up on a poor old big giant 5x5 earlier that morning and took his 39 cows and headed East. I had initially gone in to kill the big 5x5 that I had been watching for 3 days but this one showed up and I decided to take him. This one scores better than the 5x5 but doesn't have the mass or width the 5x5 had. I figure the big 5 pointer was 42-44 inches wide and this one is only 33 inches wide. I waited till the cows all bedded down and stalked over and shot this bull as he was feeding and chasing a few raghorn satellite bulls around. I saw and filmed some bigger bulls while scouting but never saw them during the hunt. Not too bad for a Population Management tag. I am mega happy, maybe in 10 - 15 years or so I might actually draw a 1, 27 or 10 bull tag and better this one, the waiting game begins now.

DSCN0664.jpg

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Bret

great bull man. It is amazing to see what a great hunter can do with the knowledge he gains from years in the field. You put it to good use and look what you got for all that time and hard work. Way to go Bret.

Jade.

Way to Go!! I'm not good at guessing scores but is he like 330-340? Don't laugh if I'm Miserably wrong! What unit was that in? I would hunt elk in Az but I live In NM so the money thing is to much for me!HAHAHAHA! But great job and I hope you draw 1,10,or27!Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Edited by CouesSlayer

I like those low country bulls with their white antlers. That's awesome! Was it a L.O rifle tag or archery?

hey bullwidgeon, did you hit it with your truck or what? nice bull for a unit with no elk. send me a pm and i'll send ya some photos of 3 other bulls from that same hunt, that has no elk in it. one is a real big 5x5. maybe the same one. Lark.

Hey Brett,

good looking bull. How far was your shot and and what type of equipement was used???? Congrats on your harvest.

I got him with a rifle. My .300 Weatherby at 639 yards. I didn't want to shoot that far but he had cows bedded all over between him and I and I couldn't see any way through or around them. He went about 75 yards and bedded up in a big cedar patch after my initial volley. I knew I hit him on the first shot and missed the next 3 as he was running through the junipers. After the cows took off and cleared the thicket and he didnt come out of the thicket I snuck over behind where I thought he was, I saw him bedded looking away from me breathing real hard and shot him two more times at less then 10 yards in his bed. I got it on video, if I ever figure out how to get movies on the net I will post clips, that may take quite awhile though. That country is way too open to get one with a bow when you are as clumsy as I am. Lark send the pictures to my email. I would like to know if that 5x5 got killed, we were planning on killing him in October if nothing bigger shows up. I am not an official scorer but I gross scored him out at 330 he probably nets low 320's. Thanks guys.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Guest Ernesto C

Awesome Bret two thumbs way up for you,congratulations!! God bless you more my friend.......sswweeeeett :angry:

639 yards?!?! couldn't ya find one any closer than that to the pavement? was the rock solid rest the hood o' the truck? one thing tho, how d'ya get a spotlight to shine that far? guess with them infrared deals you don't need one. good job kid. fine lookin' bull, no matter what unit. Lark.