Did you guys see the story they just aired about an archery hunter North of Flag shooting a bull elk in some ones back yard? There was a no hunting sign, but there wasnt a no treaspassing sign. If that makes any differance. I personally dont think it does. Whats your View on the whole situation.

A recent article in the Flag Rag talked of a couple of archery elk hunters looking for their arrow next to a guy's garage out in Fort Valley.

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2007/10/06/...nt%20page_3.txt

one Rumer i have heard is that it was first shot on public land and finished on private land and a well known outfitter was also guiding the hunter? the stories listed are not the one I was refering to, has anybody heard any facts to the rumor I have heard, I believe it was in 3c on a superraffle permit.

A recent article in the Flag Rag talked of a couple of archery elk hunters looking for their arrow next to a guy's garage out in Fort Valley.

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2007/10/06/...nt%20page_3.txt

the Rumer i have heard is that it was first shot on public land and finished on private land and a well known outfitter was also guiding the hunter?

I do not believe this is the same story. We have a rather large thread on the one you are thinking of with the

well known guide.

I watched the 3TV clip.....and have a couple of observations.

One, as hunters we gotta be smarter, can't keep giving the opposition fire power against us by pulling stunts like that, it is a no win situatio for us who love hunting to shoot somebodys pet....

Two....I am pretty sure in the clip, it showed the elk eating from a pile of alfalfa hay???? What is up with that????

I don't think those hunters did anything wrong at all. I have had a few run-ins with anti-hunting land owners and we need to stand firm. Don't live near an airport if you don't like jets flying overhead. These folks that move to the fringes tend to get an ownership type feeling over the public lands and wildlife around thier property and they need to be constantly reminded that it is PUBLIC property and so is the wildlife! Also, if its not posted... I'm going in. Very simple, post no trespassing signs every 100 feet if you don't want others on your property. I respect land owner rights but I respect my own as well.

Donnie

Ya if you dont have the proper postings then you are allowed to hunt on that piece of property. I had this conv with a game and fish officer last month. They can tell you leave the property but you are allowed to hunt it. As landowners they need to make a decision to follow the rules also.

guys, it don't matter if it was 100% legal. only thing that matters is how it is percieved. the news is always gonna take a negative slant. on anything. crisis sells stories. the thing to do is, don't hunt around houses. every year in the late elk hunt in u1 i dodge nice bulls on the roads in town, getting up to the mountains. ain't no way i'll hunt like that for 2 reasons. 1. you might get busted or worse yet end up on the news or in the papers, and B., it ain't huntin'. Lark.

Yes, you are allowed to hunt int unless you are asked to leave... but proper marking is every 1/4 mile, and at every gate.

I think you're mistaken, its either 100 feet or 100 yds. can't quite remember but I know for a fact its not as far as a 1/4 mile.

What me and my hunting partners are running into more and more is people (many from California) who buy a house near National Forest and expect people stay to out of site, even if we're on public land. We need to stand firm, we have the right to be there!!! Now, we need to use common sense and not shoot toward homes, that really goes without saying but if I see a bull standing in a field 100 yds. from someones property line and I'm on public land carrying a bow..... I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO TAKE THE SHOT AND WILL!!! If the bull jumps their fence and dies, I might have to dig into my pocket and thats the chance I'd take. We NEED to quit being so scared of bad press. We need to meet it head on and make sure we stand for our rights. Backing down to opposition and trying to appease the anti's has gotten us absolutely nowhere. What we can do is continue to educate new hunters as to what they should and shouldn't do and as long as we operate within the law we have nothing to worry about, bad press or not.

Donnie

donnie, state law says no shooting firearms within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, unless you have permission of the folks in the house. don't know what the rules are for archery. you also can't be within city limits and in some cases, like alpine, can't even be in the area. if you wanna shoot around where people live, go ahead, but don't call yourself a hunter anymore. all you're doing is shootin' semi-domesticated animals that ain't afraid o' people anymore, and bringin' unwanted publicity on yourself and everyone else with a hunting license. legal don't mean right. and like i've said before, if you have to have a tape measure to see if you're legal, you ain't doin' right. Lark.

I know the laws partner, I wouldn't be a responsible hunter if I didn't. There are no laws stating how far you need to be from an occupied building with a bow. I think we as hunters would be ignorant not to manage the WHOLE herd, not just the ones you think are wild. Anyone with any common sense would know that animals such as deer attract predators and predators in an urban setting are nothing but problems. I've seen these problems with my own eyes. A neighbor of mine near my cabin in the Bradshaws thought it would be cool to feed the local deer. Well, 2 years ago my dog was attacked by a lion not 50 yds. from my cabin on my property. The only reason that lion would be anywhere near humans was if there were plenty of game animals around. Thanks to my other dog attacking the lion, both dogs walked away with only a few scratches. Thats why G&F has laws against feeding wildlife, they don't want deer and elk that close to humans. So to keep those semi-domesticated big game animals around and not hunt them is STUPID!

There are reasons and purposes for the laws that are in place. If it's legal, it's right and there are very good reasons for it being legal.

"if you wanna shoot around where people live, go ahead, but don't call yourself a hunter anymore."

How you choose to hunt is your business. But don't even dare to say that I'm not a hunter because of where I choose hunt. Fact is I hunt the roughest nastiest country in Arizona and I'd be willing to bet this ol' marine would hike your butt into the dirt.

You hunt where you choose but don't pretend to be the ethics police for other guys who, by the way, have the same right to choose where they hunt.

Donnie

Very Well said!!!! Right on!

Ron

I know the laws partner, I wouldn't be a responsible hunter if I didn't. There are no laws stating how far you need to be from an occupied building with a bow. I think we as hunters would be ignorant not to manage the WHOLE herd, not just the ones you think are wild. Anyone with any common sense would know that animals such as deer attract predators and predators in an urban setting are nothing but problems. I've seen these problems with my own eyes. A neighbor of mine near my cabin in the Bradshaws thought it would be cool to feed the local deer. Well, 2 years ago my dog was attacked by a lion not 50 yds. from my cabin on my property. The only reason that lion would be anywhere near humans was if there were plenty of game animals around. Thanks to my other dog attacking the lion, both dogs walked away with only a few scratches. Thats why G&F has laws against feeding wildlife, they don't want deer and elk that close to humans. So to keep those semi-domesticated big game animals around and not hunt them is STUPID!

There are reasons and purposes for the laws that are in place. If it's legal, it's right and there are very good reasons for it being legal.

"if you wanna shoot around where people live, go ahead, but don't call yourself a hunter anymore."

How you choose to hunt is your business. But don't even dare to say that I'm not a hunter because of where I choose hunt. Fact is I hunt the roughest nastiest country in Arizona and I'd be willing to bet this ol' marine would hike your butt into the dirt.

You hunt where you choose but don't pretend to be the ethics police for other guys who, by the way, have the same right to choose where they hunt.

Donnie