How was the opener for everyone?

Rica wanted to go near Cortes Jct, so she pointed up many and got to retrieve 10. I was surprised that the Gambels held well. Was a little warm this afternoon, so cut it short for her sake. Sorry, no pics; need to get a smaller camera bag for the digital and attach it to the waist belt of the bird vest.

Doug~RR

I shot my limit of one. I really wish they would up the one bird a year limit. :lol:

TJ

Went out with my bro and nephew today and was able to drop three. Could have killed a bunch more, but it would have been too much runnin' for the little guy in the open flats that we were in. Lots of fun and he had a blast. JIM>

I'll wait till it cools down to hunt myself but I did helped Jim Heffelfinger at the quail check station north of Tucson and the avaerage was about 1.5 birds per day. Bellow average but better then last year.

I am holding out for Mearns and working out the finishings touches on two of my younger GSP's. Besides all of that, way to many snakes out for me. :o

It should be a great Mearns season, I can't wait!!!

Yep, should be two good seasons back to back. I will be near Sonoita over Thanksgiving fo Mearns hunting and Coues scouting.

Doug~RR

Yep, should be two good seasons back to back. I will be near Sonoita over Thanksgiving fo Mearns hunting and Coues scouting.

Doug~RR

Me too! I have a Dec. 35a and b ML hunt. I will be camped out Southest of Washington Camp so if you come accross a camp with a bunch of GSP"S stop in and say hello.

Good luck and happy hunting!!!

I went out by Morristown, and there wasn't much happening. The desert seemed to dead and extremely DRY!

Very small coveys, around 7 to 8.

I'll need to find an area with water near by to do any good. I think this year for any desert Gambles may be tough to come by. :(

Good show Doug! Congrats to you and Rica on getting into some good shooting.

My experience was kind of like Jeepers....... We found coveys in all of our favorite honey-holes, but the coveys seemed a little small. Seemed like we were seeing 10-20 bird coveys as opposed to the 50-100 bird coveys that we sometimes get on opening weekend. Based on that, my report is that of an average - mediocre season in my normal haunts. No surprise for me though, based on the rain (or lack of it...).

We'll still get out a bit this year though. My second boy is 10 now, and he's itching to work on his shot-gunning skills. ;)

Hopeful for good Mearns hunting over the winter though..... ;)

S.

:)

I hunted Friday, Saturday and Sunday, pushing on average one (1) covey per hour hunted. One (1) young dog, and two (2) inexperienced dogs, combined with plenty of poor shooting by all. Small coveys of 6-18 birds. Will be an average to above-average year for those who cover ground. Combining seasoned Gambels' dogs with your hunt, will most definitely improve success. Don't ask questions like how many birds or how did you shoot. I will leave that to either the imagination, or to the photoshop ability of Jimmy COOSEFAN Mullins. Have a great season everyone and best of luck.

How was the opener for everyone?

Rica wanted to go near Cortes Jct, so she pointed up many and got to retrieve 10. I was surprised that the Gambels held well. Was a little warm this afternoon, so cut it short for her sake. Sorry, no pics; need to get a smaller camera bag for the digital and attach it to the waist belt of the bird vest.

Doug~RR

Kinda figured thats were you have been :P

I was hunting north of Morristown and saw a boatload of quail. The covey sizes seemed to average 20-30.

My shooting skills were not up to snuff though. :(

Took the Pup out for a little fun, dumped 8 birds in about 2 hours of hunting. had to hit my lesser spot due to traffic and time but if the rest are as good as this it shouldnt be a bad year for gambels on my part. alot of adult birds but relatively unpressured only one juvenile.