ready2hunt

Flagstaff Lakes Highest in Years- Per AZ G&F

Love seeing stuff like this. The fawn drop seems to have been good this past year plus a good spring rain means good antlers this year and more animals next. Hope this keeps up. Figured I would spread the news in case some if you didn't see it.

campaign_header.gif?1457476968

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Filling and spilling:
Flagstaff area lakes highest in years

1487198890162-qejy0m0njgtdv5yr-c87424c54

A recent influx of snow and subsequent run-off is giving many Flagstaff area lakes a refill. During the past two years, water levels at Kaibab Lake near Williams had been far too low to stock fish. Thanks to recent heavy rains, the lake (pictured) is full and spilling.
All lakes in the Flagstaff region are ice free. The Arizona Game and Fish Department will not be stocking all lakes, and the ones that will be stocked will not get fish until after March 1.
Some other updates from this region:
  • Dogtown Lake, near Kaibab on the south side of I-40, should be full. Anglers who can get into Dogtown might catch some of the holdover rainbows and browns since spring fishing can be pretty good. The lake has probably picked up 10 to 11 feet of depth since December and so the fishing might be a little slow, but the trout should be feeding.
  • Ashurst Lake is full. The road to Ashurst Lake remains closed and is very muddy and there are some heavy snow drifts.
  • Upper Lake Mary is about 1 foot from spilling (up 6 inches since Tuesday) and Lower Lake Mary is about 1/3 to 1/2 full. If more moisture comes this weekend, Upper Lake Mary will probably spill into Lower Lake Mary -- and so it might fill this year.
  • Frances Short Pond will be stocked with the normal weekly stockings starting in March. Anglers should be able to catch fish at Frances Short right now since they were catching them before it iced over (and since it was full at that time, the fish-to-water ratio is the same.) For all of the other lakes, until we can stock the fishing will probably be somewhat poor.
Did you know?
The Arizona Game and Fish Department receives NO Arizona general fund tax dollars? We hold the state’s wildlife in trust for the public without a dime from Arizona taxpayers.
  • Like 2

When Mormon Lake and Stoneman Lake are full again (or even partially full) I will be amazed

Love taking the kids to lower lake Mary hope it stays nice and full..

+1

I remember years ago when there was spill-over from Upper Lake Mary, there was awesome pike and trout fishing in Lower Lake Mary! Fingers crossed for the Flagstaff guys! :)

S.

• Like 1

In the mid-seventies and into the early eighties whenever Upper Lake spilled in the Lower Lake the walleye bite in Lower Lake was absolutely unbelievable... They would literally wash over the spillway and then hang out in the broken rocks at that end of the lake... You would lose a ton of rubber jigs but the size and numbers of walleye we would catch more than made up for it...I sure haven't seen that kind of precipitation up north since those days........

In the mid-seventies and into the early eighties whenever Upper Lake spilled in the Lower Lake the walleye bite in Lower Lake was absolutely unbelievable... They would literally wash over the spillway and then hang out in the broken rocks at that end of the lake... You would lose a ton of rubber jigs but the size and numbers of walleye we would catch more than made up for it...I sure haven't seen that kind of precipitation up north since those days........

Sounds awesome

I remember catching Walleye and Pike out of the spill way on small crawdad looking crank baits. I also remember walking the channel in lower lake mary when it was first getting so low with a rubber single tail grub and catching as many pike as you would ever want.

• Like 1