Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Game and Fish Comment Periods

I've heard some rumblings of G&F considering making it illegal to bowhunt withing 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, and i would like to put together some simple research to show that this is not productive towards wildlife, hunters, and hunting.

I know there is a meeting in Tuscon tomorrow, but it's a 3 hour drive for me. I may be willing to make the drive anyways if need be, but i'd be short on research time.

How long do i have to email a public comment before consideration is closed for the next set of guidelines?

I'd like to illustrate simple bullet points such as

-many states offer urban bowhunts. it is common practice that is considered safe. archery is often done indoors, so safety cannot be considered a concern. Where i grew up in Indiana, they have specific urban hunts,often within or near the city limits, and close to houses. These types of hunts are common nationwide. Why would we ignore such an opportunity?

-we would be closing down hunting where hunting is needed most. this is the real tragedy. When i ride my bike from star valley to payson every week, the side of the road is littered with dead deer, elk, and javelina. I would venture to say that a great portion (again i need research, but i believe this to be true) of animal vehicle collisions occur in or near city limits, and close to houses. I believe most unwanted wildlife encounters occur near houses. Housing provides sanctuary for critters, and that's where the problem begins. I believe we need more urban area tags, like around payson, pine, etc, where wildlife is simply out of control. I drove through chaparral pines the other day and saw about 100 elk in 1 mile. The overgrazing is uncontrollable. Plus the damage done to personal property is significant. Elk do considerable damage every year in my neighborhood alone. Neighbors will often ask me to shoot problem elk for them, but this gives me a chance to explain the hunting/draw process, and the responsibility of game management/managers.

-to address hunter/homeowner conflict, i suggest we prosecute trespassers, and enforce current laws. I know people who have found dead animals in their yards and have blamed hunters. Hunters can't be held responsible for every animal that dies. And even if a homeowner finds a dead animal in their yard that was legally killed by a hunter, this shouldn't be looked upon as a problem. This should be viewed by G&F as a recovery, while unfortunate, as a part of the life cycle. It would be nice to see G&F take a stand for sportsmen every once in a while.

-I know many homeowners hunt on or near their own property, and feed their families with the game they take. This is a common, nationwide hunting practice. The 1/4 mile hunting rule would stop many people who hunt on their own wooded lots. I know many, if not most archery hunters, take game within 1/4 mile of houses. This rule would shut down hunting for the entire "after and before work" hunting crowd, who hunt near their homes after work.

-Lets not allow Californians, who grew up in the city, come here, and make us change our way of life. We were hunters here first, my family hunted in Arizona as early as 1915, and i have the pictures to prove it. If people don't like hunters and hunting culture, and those of us hunt to put organic food on the table, it would be nice if G&F would instruct them to sell their property, and move back to SoCal, where they can avoid hunters, and breathe smog, and get their houses broken into, and sit all afternoon in traffic, and have earthquakes, floods, rolling blackouts, etc. Or, they can enjoy arizona, and learn to accept hunting culture.

I missed our local GMU meeting last week, but i don't want to let the voice of reason be silent.

Any ideas?

The problem is the homeowner start to feed the animals and they consider than pets and then you put an arrow in one of their pets and now you have a problem.

• Like 1

I will saybthe guys who have 10+ coues bucks under their belt with archery equipment will suffer from this new law. Time to learn how to hunt.

The problem is the homeowner start to feed the animals and they consider than pets and then you put an arrow in one of their pets and now you have a problem.

Except for its not their pet. It's a wild animal that they're probably not supposed to be feeding to begin with. While I can sympathize with a non hunter growing an appreciation for an animal they see every day and grow a bond with they should realize its a game animal and have realistic expectations of what could potentially happen to that animal.

• Like 1

Except for its not their pet. It's a wild animal that they're probably not supposed to be feeding to begin with. While I can sympathize with a non hunter growing an appreciation for an animal they see every day and grow a bond with they should realize its a game animal and have realistic expectations of what could potentially happen to that animal.

I agree with you.

Not that I disagree with you completely but in their eyes it's just the opposite. They don't care that you think you should be able to kill the animal. They think it's their community elk and they will name him and expect that Noone should be able to kill them. While I'm on your side you have to see their side as non hunters. I'm not sure who hunts a quarter mile from houses anyway but I'd imagine you could find some animals a little further away from a house. I personally wouldn't mind if the law passes either way. First because I think people that claim to be hunters should get out and hunt rather than hunt off the back porch. Second it would avoid some of these stories of people seeing their community animal in their backyard die and then start a petition to end all hunting because they now hate people that hunt.
  • Like 1

Agreed, I did say I can sympathize. But there are many reasons one might hunt within a quarter mile of their or another's home other than not being good at hunting. Nuisance animals, time, physical ability etc. I think what GnF gives the champ hunters is a freakin joke. Also most people that have a problem with animals being killed are still meat eaters that go to Safeway to get their protein in nice clean packages. I'm perfectly willing to hear a vegan or vegetarians opinion on my hunting, but a meat eater that's anti hunting just irritates the crap out of me.

In my humble opinion it would be nice to see GnF take the side of sportsman on this one.

• Like 1

Not that I disagree with you completely but in their eyes it's just the opposite. They don't care that you think you should be able to kill the animal. They think it's their community elk and they will name him and expect that Noone should be able to kill them. While I'm on your side you have to see their side as non hunters. I'm not sure who hunts a quarter mile from houses anyway but I'd imagine you could find some animals a little further away from a house. I personally wouldn't mind if the law passes either way. First because I think people that claim to be hunters should get out and hunt rather than hunt off the back porch. Second it would avoid some of these stories of people seeing their community animal in their backyard die and then start a petition to end all hunting because they now hate people that hunt.

I replied to this so I could like it again.

• Like 2

I couldn't disagree with you more, for all of the reasons i mentioned above. Your response is emotional, and not scientific, nor does it take up for sportsmen in general. There are many states where you would have a hard time finding a place to hunt that is 1/4 mile from a house, so this sets a dangerous precedent.

Whats more, there are 2 conditions in AZ that provide good hunting. 1) deep in the woods, a long journey down a rough road or in the wilderness areas, and 2) behind houses, where thr rifle hunters haven't shot everything to pieces.

Please consider us blue collar guys who have limited time and resources to take off work, and have a hard time leaving the wife saddled with the kids for weeks on end while out fulfilling our hunting desires.

If a law such as this passes, i personally will have extremely limited opportunities to fill a tag. Which is especially difficult when i can glass critters from my front porch.

Please think of sportsmens rights in general, and not be critical over someone elses "easy" hunt.

• Like 2

there's a general lack of unity in the hunting community, and it aids to the erosion of our privileges as sportsmen.

Long range? why, that's unsporting and results in crippling animals. lets pass a law against that.

trail cameras? that's cheating, we should pass a law against that.

tree stands? that littering in the forrest, we should pass a law against that.

baiting? that's too easy, we should pass a law against that.

you drove a 4-wheeler? that made too much noise, we should pass a law against that, or at least close the road.

hounds? that's cruel, we should pass a law against that.

hunt lions? that's unnecessary, we should pass a law against that.

archery hunt near a house? that might create conflict, let's pass a law against that.

you see where it goes?

just because you have time to take off for a week and hunt the wilderness, and i applaud that, doesn't mean everyone can. I may be able to duck out of work at 3, and that's the best i can do for now.

please don't take my opportunity.

• Like 3

what's more, i could give you addresses of places where people feed animals, and keep entire hearts of animals on their property for the duration of hunting seasons.

For the current 1/4 mile firearm rule you can hunt within that with permission from the owner.

For example, dove hunter and dairies, etc...

I imagine that stipulation would apply to an archery law as well.

• Like 1

We def. Dont need more regulations. But truth be told when the public complains the department takes notice. know your pecking order.. yiu can conplain to the department but they will take the least path of resistance in this im certain.