Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

7RUM Handloads

Anyone out there loading for this?? I shot up all my HSM factory loads and I have 100 pieces of brass waiting to get loaded up.

I have:

Berger 180gr and 195gr

Nosler 175gr LRAB

Retumbo

Federal 215 (Id love to find some 215m)

I can get RE25, 33 and 7828 and 7828ssc

Thoughts??

You might need an 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist barrel for the 195s.

The 180's and below should be good with a 1:9

• Like 1

Trash the LRAB.

What don't you like about the LRAB? Is it an accuracy issue or terminal performance on game?

You might need an 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist barrel for the 195s.

The 180's and below should be good with a 1:9

Its a 1-9 sendero lite--- I didn't originally get it for flinging 195s but --once I saw them I figured Id grab a box and try. I checked the Berger twist rate calculator and I'm right on the edge of marginal to stable.

Being down here in Texas it looks like stability will increase with altitude, and with temperature (the only benefit Texas has) at least playing with that calculator. If that holds true in practice then hopefully they stabilize at western hunting altitudes.

I think my primary hunting bullet will be the 180s- best worlds of density and velocity.

Trash the LRAB.

What don't you like about the LRAB? Is it an accuracy issue or terminal performance on game?

Accuracy. Notorious for two in one out groups. If I recall correctly, Lance had issues with them too.

• Like 2

The LRABs always seemed to have a flyer or two with me and seems others had that issue as well. I would shoot the 180hybrid or vld. All those powders will work, but I'd Use retumbo or try and get ahold of h1000 if you could. It would be pretty nice if you were able to shoot the 195's with good velocities... I bet you could pull it off.

Have fun and enjoy coming up with that perfect load!

Kurt

• Like 1

Trash the LRAB.

Accuracy. Notorious for two in one out groups. If I recall correctly, Lance had issues with them too.

Same results from a gun that loves 168 HVLD, 175 SGK (both in the .3-.4s), 180 Hybrid and 183 SMK (both in the .2-.3s, sometimes better). I couldn't get the 175 NABLR to shoot better than 1".

• Like 1