Sign in to follow this  
forepaw

Barnes Bullets - Seating Depth

Guys,

Has anyone had decent results seating Barnes bullets with a 0.005 - 0.008" jump? I know the conventional wisdom is to start out seating from 0.030 - 0.070" off the lands and one or the other is generally predicted to be the sweet spot, or close to it. I have two loads for one rifle using the TTSX that I am jumping 0.060" with good results. A common claim is that 0.050" is a good all-around jump.

I am currently using the .264 127 gr. LRX, and after having tried a couple of powders, primers and seating depths (0.027, 0.050, 0.059), I am not any better off. I was thinking of seating it just off the lands to see if it would improve accuracy, but with all the knowledge on this forum, thought it would be worth a try to ask around first. Cal. is 6.5x55. My match load uses the Nosler 140 gr. Custom Competition (jumped 0.025") and it shoots very well, but I am looking for a hunting load.

Thanks.

forepaw

Try it. Nothing says you have to have a certain jump. Your gun will have to tell you.

I can say that the 6.5 127 LRX shows amazing accuracy in my .260 Rem and 6.5 SLR. Both easily sub-1/2" 5 shot groups.

And they work very well on game. That bullet is what Taylor used on here deer last year at 637 yards. DRT.

Guys,

Has anyone had decent results seating Barnes bullets with a 0.005 - 0.008" jump? I know the conventional wisdom is to start out seating from 0.030 - 0.070" off the lands and one or the other is generally predicted to be the sweet spot, or close to it. I have two loads for one rifle using the TTSX that I am jumping 0.060" with good results. A common claim is that 0.050" is a good all-around jump.

I am currently using the .264 127 gr. LRX, and after having tried a couple of powders, primers and seating depths (0.027, 0.050, 0.059), I am not any better off. I was thinking of seating it just off the lands to see if it would improve accuracy, but with all the knowledge on this forum, thought it would be worth a try to ask around first. Cal. is 6.5x55. My match load uses the Nosler 140 gr. Custom Competition (jumped 0.025") and it shoots very well, but I am looking for a hunting load.

Thanks.

forepaw

It's best to always start at .005"-.010" off. Find the best powder primer combo and fireform your brass to your chamber. Then work the load in one tenth increments. In other words if it's 55 grains work the load in .5gr increments. One tenth is the minimum amount of powder it takes to make a change. After fireforming your brass and a load to work with, start work on seating depth in .005" increments both into and off the lands. This has worked for me for the 55 years I've been reloading for hunting and competition.

Thanks to all for info. L Cazador, you have been at this a long time! But if you are like me, there's always something new to learn.

Believe I will drop back 0.5 gr. and load some just off the lands and see how that does. I really want to use one of the Barnes bullets for hunting- the TSX and TTSX are good, but the LRX is the most efficient. At least while it's in the air.

Thought about just loading a Berger Hybrid for both competition and hunting, but my hunting loads tend to be just under max., and it's nice to be able to shoot matches with something a little less aggressive. Still an option however.

forepaw

yes sir, because your loads are just under max are a good reason to start at .010" off. Also if you're using new brass, it will generally be a few thousands under your chamber size. All the more reason to start at .010" off till your cases are fireformed. This process works for monolith(non-lead)bullets as well as jacketed lead bullets, no matter who makes them. Just keep in mind that monolith bullets require more twist than jacketed lead bullets, they are much longer and you are stabilizing length not weight!

• Like 1

100% agree. Good info. The twist in my barrel is 1:8, but it might not be enough for that long bullet with the moderate velocity of a 22" 6.5x55. Mr. Kenyon claims very good accuracy from his .260 Rem., which is not significantly different in terms of case capacity, but suspect he has a longer barrel.

forepaw