Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

Snake bites

I try to move them somewhere less dangerous.

Guess I am soft ...

I'm the same way. I move them somewhere less dangerous after I politely remove their head so no one gets bit.

• Like 7

I've run across a bunch of them. I've skinned a bunch too. I was struck in the boot once down by Tombstone, while hunting. I was about to step on him. There were a lot of rattlers down there that year. I also stepped just a few feet from a big one. He didn't rattle until I passed. He was a 5 1/2 footer....I skinned him too.

I've run across a bunch of them. I've skinned a bunch too. I was struck in the boot once down by Tombstone, while hunting. I was about to step on him. There were a lot of rattlers down there that year. I also stepped just a few feet from a big one. He didn't rattle until I passed. He was a 5 1/2 footer....I skinned him too.

Skin them all.

Some very interesting stuff guys.. I didn't get an exact count but there was at least one maybe two bites that happen while out hunting that got posted. Sounds like a lot of you guys have been extremely lucky except for the people who grew up around creed. I did what Jass said and googled Mohave bites and man those things can cause some serious damage especially to your bank account. One guys bill from after he got bit was $150,000+!! Don't know if this is the norm now days or if this was an extreme case but either way sounds like it can get pretty expensive if you ever get bit.

Many of times I've wondered if my gaiters were tall enough especially while hiking uphill but after reading Dug's post about a guy getting hit in the knee I think I'm going to be purchasing some thigh high chaps. And after reading all the other posts I think I'm going to be buying some chest chaps, maybe some arm chaps, and some snake proof gloves, and a snake proof helmet to top it off. Wait I almost for got the snake proof undies don't want to be getting bit by a snake in the old twig n berries.

One more thing... to all you guys that don't like to skin snakes could you at least take a can of blaze orange spray paint with you and the next time you move one of these badboys just give it a good coat or two of orange while your relocating it. Now that I think about it it doesn't have to be orange any bright noticeable color will do. That would be great thanks!

• Like 1

Stepped on one that never struck, seen a bunch more while out and about. I get rid of the ones that could become an issue, most though I just leave where I see them. Snakes have never scared me like that, I figure if I get bit then so be it.